cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Thermostat Won't Turn On Heat

disappointed
Community Member

Thermostat has been working well until today. Now the heat won't come on. Did a reset, that did not help. 

When I adjust the temperature a green leaf shows up and says in 1.5 hours, then says until 21:00. It's -4C outside, by 21:00H my pipes will be frozen. Support web site says they are open but all channels of communication are greyed out and unavailable. 

Can anyone help?

1 Recommended Answer

disappointed
Community Member

We resolved this problem by pulling off the Nest facelate and plugging it into a USB charger. About an hour later we put it back on the wall and it recommenced communicating with the furnace. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

170 REPLIES 170

Pynkeye
Community Member

Super annoyed.  Installed two basic nest thermostats.  Original was a simple manual Honeywell and the other was a programmable non WiFi Honeywell.  Both worked great.  

With the Nest thermostat I was getting no heat unless I changed it to cool and turned the temp higher than room temperature.  Was on the phone for over two hours with nest customer service trying to fix these issues.  The one replacing the programmable one needed wiring moved around and it started working.  The Nest replacing the simple thermostat would not work.  Cold air blowing when heat was on.  I was told I need a technician to come out to install the “orange” wire and make sure it was also connected to the AC unit outside.  Basically ended up reinstalling the original simple manual Honeywell unit and now there are no problems.  I’m so annoyed right now.  Wasted so much time for things that really don’t work.  

TWO HOURS!  Of turning off the power at the breaker, factory resetting the units after moving wires and uninstalling and reinstalling the app.  Running upstairs and downstairs and going outside.  Two hours???  Customer service rep was friendly and patient but seriously??

Has anyone figured out the wiring issues?  My original basic Honeywell thermostats work great.  Turn on heat and cooling with no problems.  I don’t know why I even started this process in the first place!!!!  Grrrr

eldo99
Community Member

I am having the same issue... happened a few weeks ago, reset the thermostat and took it off the wall and put it back on. Was fine after, hit safety temps again for the first time since then yesterday... now only safety temps work and cant get heat any other way.

Bluerose6879
Community Member

Same issue here. Tried restarting it twice miw and nothing. I can turn it over 10° higher than what it's set at and it says it will reach temp 30 or 60 min ..... nothing. Ready to ditch it for a normal digital timer. Never had issues with them. 

Well, I'm just about at the same point (as to chucking the whole **bleep** thing) but, I think (at least for now) figured out how to trick it,after trying everything else, I'm back to turning it off completely, when not needed in the few hours in the afternoon, then flipping the on again switch/dial on and so far (crossing fingers) it appears to be working. We'll see 🙄🙄🙄

Oh my gosh, it "bleeped" out the word d.a.m.n.ed!! Google, good grief!!

So you know that Google is following this thread, but no one is taking responsibility for the problem. 

Very true, unfortunately 🥺😡 ... since sooooooo many people are having this exact problem over 6 months!!

That means that your heater is not working.  The Nest thermostat is.

08tedz40
Community Member

So much finally figured out how to keep my heat on. I have to keep my house at 70°. Whenever I had the heat cool mode on it wouldn't kick on when it got cooler than 65. So now I'm just keeping heat on always and over the last week i haven't had the heater turn off since.

This does seem to work, except when I've tried this, instead of turning off the thermostat when not needed, my electric/gas bills have skyrocketed. Almost more than doubled,compared to prior when I wasn't having any problems. I really feel that it's due to a major software problem that kicked in. Since so many people who have this Nest thermostat have only been having this problem within the past six odd months. With all these complaints that have come through, you'd think Google Nest associates would do something, but it just seems as if they're only ignoring it.

RAH
Community Member

Afraid to leave the house for long because the Nest may turn off on it's own and I won't even know it.   The temperature on my phone is not accurate.  Don't want the pipes to freeze.  

I'd this is a Google software problem, how do I proceed?

I don't know. Sadly, itappears that Google doesn't seem to care. So many Nest users have been complaining about this problem for almost over six months, and nothing has been done. Everybody has been having this problem in recent months, and has attempted to try every single route to fix/adjust this thermostat, myself included. It works for a bit, maybe a few days, then quits again. I think that they need to do a recall and replace ALL of our thermostats!!

OakvilleToronto
Community Member

Same here. Once reach set temperature, it won't turn on though the current temperature falling. It started today. I took the nest face off the board and then it works. Then agan it does not work. To run heat, I manually turn off heat and on. What's the point? During my sleep, who is going to do it? Here in Canada temperature is dropping to -18C. Will see tomorrow if continue like this, will buy more reliable brand. Also will share this experience thru Facebook, wechat, whats app. This is unacceptable.  How many people have same issues. Nothing told from Google.

Sorry to hear you’re having similar issues. 

Have the furnace checked.  I had the same issue but it wasn't the Thermostat, it was the furnace.

EMM
Community Member

I had it  checked. That wasn’t the problem. 

SanNGA
Community Member

I had it checked as well...twice and the furnace is NOT the issue.

Neozoolook
Community Member

Had all the same issues as well and this does appear to be a firmware issue and google is not being forthcoming on the problem.  Spent 2 days trying to get heating to work would only heat to emergency setting.  Release 6.2-22 is the problem.  Today looked at my nest app and the thermostat is working!!! Release of firmware is showing 6.1.1-21.  I didn’t do anything to get this to rollback.  I suspect that google may be trying to fix this without acknowledging the problem.  

I contacted help centre via phone. I did everything such as factory reset and ppls recommendation before I talked to the customer staff. I have not had a chance to talk to technician but concerns and suggestions via customer staff. Final solution they gave me is to buy a new one. I spent over an hour to have a conversation. I spent almost 2days to fix it. This is how Google treat customers. Lastly the machine is working fortunately 3 hrs after I talked to customer service. My version has  not been changed though. Thank you for your reply.

Just curious has anyone else has firmware rollback? Mine is still 6.2-22 and not working.

nope, how did it happeb? i wish 

EMM
Community Member

Mine is 6.2-22 and working for now. 

pvheming
Community Member

Call a HVAC service company that have a person familiar with Nest.  I had the same issue and found out that the NEST was fine.  My Heater needed servicing.  Now everything is good again.

pvheming
Community Member

Check the furnace.  That is most likely the problem.

custadvocate
Community Member

I have 2 nest ecobee themostats.  One is working well, the other will not heat past the safety temperature.  Very dangerous in an 1800 home with hot water heat radiator heat and orignal windows with a -11F temp outside with -25F windchill.  I have increased the temperature in the second zone, but the zone that is not working still fluctuates between 45F and 46F.  Any ideas on how I might be able to do, remotely if possible, to kick the non working themostat into gear without calling someone to replace the thermostat?  The software is 6.2-22 and battery is at 3.86 volts.  Backplate is 7.2 and display 4.8.  I have had it less than 3 months.

gstoynev
Community Member

Same issue here. 

Software6.2-22
UpdatedNov 2, 20:05 PM

Heat won't turn on regardless if using the Eco program or turn off Eco and just do "Heat". Safety temperature kicks in, brings room temperature to a degree higher than safety and heating stops.

Randy62540
Community Member

Same here found a great solution my power company offers a rebate on smart thermostats only $30 and I got a new one of course I don’t trust google anymore so I got one that works 

draggerlane
Community Member

I have an issue with mine as well.  However I don't think it's my Nest Thermostat.  Mine started acting up at the end of November about a month after I started my heat up.  I'm on Natural gas.   How mine is acting up is similar to what everybody else is experiencing but mine actually tell my HVAC to turn on which it does but it won't ignite.   Now if I leave it off for a few hours it will work mostly.  However yesterday it stop working and I can't get it to turn back on.  I have done what everybody has suggested.  I did a factory reset and still  the nest tell the hvac to activate heat I hear the hvac turn on and try to ignite but it doesn't.  I just tried to switch to my old thermostat and the same thing happens with it.  And this is why I think something else is wrong a dirty sensor of bad igniter.  The problem is this unit is only a little over a year old.  I already had somebody come and take a look at it and they say nothing is wrong.  That it has to be my Nest thermostat.    At this point I don't know what to do.  I have kids and it was snowing.   

Waterford
Community Member

As it turns out in my case unfortunately, my furnace was bad (it was 26 years old). After having it replaced, the Nest thermostat is working fine.

Belcruit
Community Member

My thermostat won't connect properly to the heatlink either, despite multiple resetting 

MF4
Community Member

After several hundred dollars of new parts in the furnace my nest thermostat continues to malfunction. I made the decision today to go back to a non-programmable thermostat for my home. A smart thermostat is not needed for my home and it was a big mistake.

bsrtsnow
Community Member

Same f(*&ing problem.  I have 2 nest thermostats that have been working fine for a couple of years.  One showed it was orange and heating up to the temperature, but the heat was not turning on.  Installed an old manual thermostat - everything works fine.  I switched the faulty nest to the other location with the working next, and it didn't work their either, so the problem is definitely in the thermostat.  $ down the drain and replaced with a $50 programmable thermostat.

beeeater
Community Member

Our heat stopped coming on the other day. We figured it was a furnace problem and hit the reset button on the furnace. But after a short time, the heat turned off again, and then after that even hitting the reset button didn't do anything. A technician from the fuel oil company came out and suggested that the problem was in the Nest thermostat. He said we don't have a third wire (C-wire??). Now the problem seems to  have resolved itself for now, but should we have the third wire installed? If it happens again, reboot Nest?

Revil
Community Member

nest works best with the c-wire. Recommend you hook one up. 

SteelCor
Community Member

I have the Gen 3.  I had a weird issue early January where the heat pump compressor wasn’t turning off when the Nest turned the heat off, even though the fan inside did turn off.  It was a serious safety issue.  The HVAC company couldn’t find anything wrong to cause it.  I haven’t noticed that happening again, but over the past two days my electric usage has been through the roof.  I noticed the the Nest showing a ”Delayed for“ with time and turning the heat off early.  If I manually turn it up it would flash delay then disappear.  Then the current temp jumped up sometimes. After about 4 hours with Google support moving wires where they probably shouldn’t be, going out to turn the power off many times… now it shows “Starts in” with a time every single time the system comes on.  It seems this made the issue worse.  Their end result was to say both of those messages are bad and that there must be a problem with my heat pump, even though it’s regularly serviced.  

Luckydog
Community Member

I have experienced many of the same symptoms described here.  I have several short term rentals and suddenly, starting in October each of the their Nests failed to turn on the furnace. So far, the only fixes I have found to work are resetting the thermostat (which seems to temporarily work on some of my systems) and turning off the safety temperature.  Once I turn the safety temp to off, then the furnace will turn on.   I have since turned on the safety temperatures and things are still working. Fingers crossed that it holds up. 

Adrienne
Community Member

Mine has never worked properly. I don't mess with the thermostat but what happens is my heater or AC will stop working, I'll look at the app and it shows a temp that is not what I want. I've learned to turn it off in the app and then back on and it works fine. This is not an acceptable solution for many reasons but mainly because I can't leave my house for the night without checking the thermostat in the app EVERY FEW HOURS to make sure my fur babies don't freeze or have a heat stroke. I feel like my life is beginning to revolve around making sure this system is working - that ain't living!!

CardindalNest
Community Member

Junk system. No support or help anywhere for such an expensive system. Installed and shows correct wiring in the setup screen, but nothing happens (no heat or AC) even in test mode. What a waste of money!