cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Thermostat remote access setup at vacation home

marcusvictoriou
Community Member

My handyman installed my thermostat and it's working.  Now I need to enable it so my google app can see it.  It's at my vacation home about 900 miles away so I'm not connected to that wifi network.  How do I configure access remotely?  thanks

11 REPLIES 11

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You’ll need to be able to touch your thermostat to add it to your account in the app. This means that you won’t be able to add it remotely.

Hakalau
Community Member

Can someone else do it for me? I live 2000 miles from my rental.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The device running the Google Nest or Google Home app, which controls your thermostat must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your thermostat.

We just left our Nest Thermostat 2 days ago and it's already offline. I assumed I would be able to reset it remotely, but can't find a single thing about how to do that besides taking it off my account. And then I have to be there to put it back on. How is this possible? That the device is not resettable or rebootable remotely? Am I missing something?

someguysNEST
Community Member

Accordingly, you cannot remotely control your thermostat from phone or via internet unless you're connected to same WiFi network as thermostat, that is your home network, in ALL cases. Is this correct? Essentially, this means you have no remote operation capabilityfor your home thermostat. Is this correct as well? 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No, this just refers to setup. Once the thermostat is added to the appropriate app and connected to Wifi, you can control it remotely using the app.

Pari1
Community Member

Can handyman set up the Nest on his phone ( I assume it need to get username & password) then can log in the account and adjust it from far away ?

Yes you could give the handyman your login info (trust the guy?) and he/she could do the initial setup.  Then you can control remotely from then on, as long as the Nest keeps connection with that wifi.

someguysNEST
Community Member

David,

My NEST learning thermostat (Gen 3?) is not connected to my home WiFi, but otherwise controls the house temperature. Since it was not setup to connect to home WiFi at setup, what steps do I need to take now to get it connected to home WiFi. Thanks

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

RemoteNestGuy
Community Member

OK @marcusvictoriou @someguysNEST 

I'm in same situation.  Just had handyman set up new Nest Learning thermostat in my moms house on East Coast, and I'm here on West Coast.  I guess i sorta understand the initial setup has to be on the same wifi network otherwise can you imagine the hacking/chaos/remotely freezing or melting people?   Anyway, got my brother to go there, put Nest on his phone, use my login info, then he ran thru the setup once, and now I can control / troubleshoot her Nest Thermostat remotely across the country.>  not sure why the Tech Support couldn't convey that info to you in a straightforward manner.