cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Suitable TRVs for using with Nest thermostat

Lsangster
Community Member

We have a Nest thermostat installed in our home that connects with a few cameras and a doorbell. We would like to add some TRVs so that we have better control of our gas central heating especially with the cost of living problems we all have to face this winter in the UK. Can you please recommend a brand that will work best for us please? We were thinking of Tado but would prefer a recommendation.

1 Recommended Answer

Wow, sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare! A cold one at that!

I appreciate that you didn’t get long in the end to try it, but did you get the tados talking to the nest controller? Or were you just using them essentially as thermostatic controls rather than wireless ones that would activate the boiler?

thanks again

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bwrigley
Community Member

Hi There,

It doesn't look like you got any replies on here sadly. I'm in the same situation as you and I'm thinking that smart TRVs are the way to go.

I've just chatted with support who said they don't have a list of smart TRVs that are compatible and recommend getting a Nest Pro inspection. £££££

It seems that the Nest solution requires more than one heating circuit which would require actual plumbing changes I think and then additional thermostats for each circuit. Beginning to sound expensive!

I'm wondering if Nest are not actually the best solution for this. Have you found out any more?

Lsangster
Community Member

We decided to buy tado TRVs which were very quick and easy to fit. Unfortunately we had a carbon monoxide problem with our 18 month old gas CH boiler when we were at the house in Scotland so we had no heating or hot water for 5 out of 7 days 🥶 and couldn’t test how good the TRVs are. The boiler was finally fixed (we hope) on the Saturday - the day before we drove home - so I can only report back to you on half a day’s use. The main Nest wall thermostat runs the boiler and, being a holiday home that we use maybe 6 times a year, we used to leave the old TRVs at low but then when we arrived we would simply turn them up. We will continue to monitor the temperature in the rooms. I feel pretty confident the tado TRVs are a much better way to control the temperature. The last thing we want is to have frozen/burst pipes.

Wow, sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare! A cold one at that!

I appreciate that you didn’t get long in the end to try it, but did you get the tados talking to the nest controller? Or were you just using them essentially as thermostatic controls rather than wireless ones that would activate the boiler?

thanks again

Lsangster
Community Member

We are using the tado TRVs independently. The plan is to use the Nest to keep the heating no lower than 14 or 15C throughout the house over the winter. We have someone going in once a month (to comply with the insurance company) and to let tradesmen in for whatever problems that arise in our absence. Not surprisingly, she complains about how cold the house is so, if she remembers to let us know when she will be there, we can now turn up the Nest at the appropriate time and adjust the appropriate TRV. Before tados we had no control of the radiators but already it seems they’re working as expected.

Alim
Community Member

Coming a bit late to the party on this one - if anyone is still following this chat, please could they let me know if TADO TRV's will work with my NEST Thermostat ?? 

bwrigley
Community Member

Hi Alim,

the answer is no. In fact getting the answer was the hardest part. I had to find the exact make and software version of my nest and the hub and my boiler, one question per email, and then was told that tado aren’t compatible with *any* version of nest.

not really impressed with their support I’m afraid. 

also my rads would all need to have normal trvs installed before I can upgrade them to tado. This requires draining the system etc. 

sad ending to a promising idea!

Alim
Community Member

All very disappointing. I am happy with the NEST thermostat, and surprised that they have not had the foresight to create their own compatible TRV system. It is all falling into the too hard and complicated basket. I am also concerned that I go to all the expense of purchasing the TRVs, paying someone to go in and drain my heating system, install the TRV (and not even be sure they would fit as info on this is limited too), have the system reset with the radiator fluid and then not know if they will work as I would like them to. I think I will stick to manual adjustment for now and see if the system improves and become more user friendly. Thanks .