cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

W5 error problem, have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions but nothing works. Please help

nas_analog
Community Member
My Nest Thermostat has the reported "w5 error" and cannot connect to WiFi. It does not even detect the WiFi. Have tried all suggestions (restart and reset both the router and Nest Thermostat) and still won’t connect to WiFi. None of my other nest thermostats have issues connecting. Please help.

161 REPLIES 161

Rozanskim2
Community Member

Contact nest support by phone and report this problem. I did this and was told it’s a wifi chip malfunction. Clearly this is a known issue because they easily troubleshooted it for me and offered a replacement. I had to contact them a second time to ask them to ship my replacement which is a different story in itself. Good luck to all but a replacement seems to be the unfortunate solution. 

Nest support that’s a joke right. Spent close to $200 for a thermostat that I get to work by hand. They have all our info they should send replacements instead of forcing customers to jump though hoops and beg for a proper working unit. Had an issue with a $600 ev car charger. Bad Wi-Fi board. Had a replacement in a week. 

What's the phone number?  I can't find that on the sites.  It keeps looping me back to the same troubleshooting guide.

KingDaemon99
Community Member

I also have been experiencing the same issues and I don’t know how to get help. 

Getting help is a farce. They have no desire to support there equipment. Have a problem with a Amazon device replacement in the mail before your off the phone here with Google the only option is to vent in a never read forum. And with supply chain issues you can whistle till your blue for a replacement on defective gear

Unip
Community Member

Same issue here, been struggling past 2 months. Have tried all reset, restart options and combination. It seems the device can’t even try to detect networks. Saying “your thermostat has a problem and is unable to connect to Wi-Fi, nest.com/w5” 

pls help? 
thanks 

Vaccaro
Community Member

Basically we bought a brick on the wall over 10 google home products in my home ready to toss and commit to Alexa. 

Dsantana5
Community Member

I also get the nest.com/w5 error. i have tried all the steps to resolve and nothing works. Any ideas?

The honest answer to fix it is get a hammer gist hard until it fall off the wall. Then carefully pick it up bring outside and place under the tire of your car. The drive over it a couple of times. 

pbd
Community Member

Jumping in on this too.  One of two of my Nest thermostats is having the same issue.  No longer sees ANY wireless network.  Resetting does nothing!  Software version is 6-2.22 from October 2021.  Please provide some sort of fix for this.  This thermostat isn't very old and has never had an issue until now.

Broomes
Community Member

I've been having the same issue since Jan and the same software version. No it keeps resetting the date to Jan 1 2017. 

Vaccaro
Community Member

I have found if you bang your head on the wall a couple of times and then scream in anger that you invested in a google nest product that cares more about anything else than customer satisfaction.  That helped me anyway

Rk1
Community Member

Same issue.  Month old Nest connected to network for a few hours then disconnected and shows w5 error. Ran through all the suggested remedy steps. No joy. We have a second nest that seems fine, is network connected. Help please!

Thanks!

jacktripperdd
Community Member

I also get the nest.com/w5 error. i have tried all the steps to resolve and I still cannot see any networks. 

pbd
Community Member

No recovery from the W5 error.  Had to replace the thermostat.  Contact Google Nest support directly.

pbd
Community Member

Forgot to add this information. Like I said, there is no recovery for the W5 error or the nest thermostat losing all wifi ability after software update.  To resolve you need to replace the thermostat by contacting Google Nest support directly.  https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp?hl=en

copeal17
Community Member

When I try that site, it never takes me to a place to contact them other than this support page, which doesn't seem like is solving anyone's problem.

Gerhald
Community Member

Hi there. It worked for me . Answer the questions on the steps until you get to point 3. Contact and select the chat option . Works great and they can set up the replacement. I just did this 20 min ago.

hope everyone reads before asking again...:)

Gerhald
Community Member

Update :

all worked as indicated by the person on the chat .

was asked to submit a request for replacement ( they sent me the link ) and they held a deposit on my card .

I then got my new device .

printed a provided shipping label and shipped my defective device back .

once they received it , the deposit on my card was withdrawn.

I believe the answers and solutions are on this threads . Ready through them and you will find it . Good luck 👍 

Az1
Community Member

I have the same problem , and I did all the Guide steps, but it doesn’t work.

Jessica27
Community Member

I am having the same problem after multiple attempts to reset and reconnect

Babshire3
Community Member

Received my replacement thermostat this week... installed and working as it should!

I have the same issue and went through all the steps. Wanted to contact support but got sent here. 

CUSTOMERwaprob_
Community Member

This is a known error that needs replacing.  Walk me through the replacement process 

Jjohnson0375
Community Member

Have the same problem, getting the nest.com/w5 error.  Tried all suggested troubleshooting and still can’t find Wi-Fi  networks.

Oceantimes
Community Member

Same issue, getting the nest.com/w5 error.  Tried all suggested troubleshooting and the w5 error keeps coming and no network found.

Felisconcolor1
Community Member

I have experienced the w5 network error for sometime with my NEST Learning Thermostat and just recently spent the time to exhaust all troubleshooting solutions.  Appears to be a Wi-Fi chip failure based on research.  How can I get a replacement?

swanson2327
Community Member

We are having this same issue, no troubleshooting has helped. Can anyone help? 

Contact Google support. They immediately sent me a replacement nest.

Fredrickgolden
Community Member

That is correct

Thejp3
Community Member

I have the same w5 error on one of my two learning 3rd gen!! Have done everything told in troubleshooting multiple times and no good. No other WiFi issues in a smart house. Please advise 

Madisonfd
Community Member

Why does Google make it so difficult to get a replacement for a known issue. We have been dealing with the w5 error code for over a year and I just found out it can get replaced, but I have to go through a bulletin board thread to get someone's attention to get a replacement. Come on Google

Maybe when a major news network covers their gross negligence something will be done

Ben_Beni
Community Member

Hello, Having issue with the thermostat wifi. "w5 error" I have tried all troubleshooting steps.

How can I proceed with replacement?

Vaccaro
Community Member

You can not proceed with a replacement unless you decide to go out and purchase a brand new device with will probably not work either. 

Glgould
Community Member

Need help

Vaccaro
Community Member

Forget it. It’s amazing that this board is actually working. They only people that read it are the many frustrationed owners of a crap product that cares more about the box that the item inside

Ken06
Community Member

My Nest Thermostat has the reported "w5 error" and cannot connect to WiFi. It does not even detect the WiFi. Have tried all suggestions (restart and reset both the router and Nest Thermostat) and still won’t connect to WiFi. None of my other nest thermostats have issues connecting. Please help.

Jthomason
Community Member

I see A LOT of people are having this issue with no costumer support? Does anyone have a solution? 

Or a recommendation for an alternative thermostat brand? This is BEYOND frustrating.