cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google home wifi point shows offline but isn't

rrrccc57
Community Member

Pretty simple set up of original google home network, been working for years until recently

Office-Wifi connected to ISP modem, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81
FamilyRoom-Wifi mesh connection, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81

Both the devices were purchased from google in a 3 pack.

First issue, a few months ago, I don’t know the exact date but may have coincided with the forced switch to Google Home App; FamilyRoom-Wifi point starts going offline, at least it says so in the “home” app, and stays offline until re-boot/power-cycle. Note the Google Home App notification says the FamilyRoom-Wifi point is offline but the lights on the device don’t indicate a problem. What’s up with that?

Second issue, 2 Roku devices within 4 feet of FamilyRoom-Wifi point, the Home app shows device 1 excellent connection 2.4ghz, but shows a weak connection 5ghz for device 2. Device 1 is a relatively new Roku stick (2.4ghz) device 2 (5ghz) is a TCL Roku TV. Note, device 2 shows it has an "Excellent" connection while the Home app shows weak. What’s up with that?

1 Recommended Answer

You are correct @rrrccc57 

after force closing the Google home app it reappeared.  Like others I’m leaving this alone for now.  My internet is working fine and I have better things to do with my life :).  Hopefully Google can reproduce this and fix this on a future version.  Thanks again!

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

No I do not use Spectrum 

CocoHenn7
Community Member

same issue for months now and still happening.  Router is offline all the time.  turn it off and back on.  Hard reset of the modem the points are a tad better but not much... internet is constantly down. glad I spent over $500 for this not to work.  Making working from home painful. 

funny story.  I got in touch with google to ask about this.  They had me try everything I already did , turning on and off restart router.  Then sent me a link so they can check the connection to which they told me I have a  double NAT connection and I need to contact my ISP to have them change my router settings to bridge mode.  Not familiar with this so look it up and I don't have this.  I don't have two routers I have 2 points which are in bridge mode.  So I asked this and they literally write back ohhh my bad what kind of modem do I have and who is my internet provider.  Not that that should matter why the router is showing off line so I called them on this and told them to acknowledge their product has a big problem and to fix it or pass it on to someone who can..that didn't really get me anywhere but just wanted to make a point that a lot of customers are having this issue and spent good money on a product that craps out  

Eric63
Community Member

Thanks for fighting the good fight 

I share your pain on this issue. It’s been a problem since May 2022 with Google Routers going offline in the Google Home app tiles although it’s connected, This offline notification is causing smart automations and other devices to be disabled on my end. I’ve spoke to Google IT agent about this and send a screenshot. The agent replied after troubleshooting to say …..send a message to their developer team tier about this issue. I am sure I’m not the only one that have done that. A community staffer affiliated with Google back in May 2022 have said it’s a bug and their developers supposed to send out a fix and we’re still waiting!

rrrccc57
Community Member

Like I've said, I'm not expecting a fix for this and I will never buy another piece of Alphabet/Google hardware; won't be selling me a Pixel that's for sure.  

For me the problem only presents itself with false reports of points offline when they are working just fine. I don't use any of the other features, voice commands, timers, etc. just a plain network which works fine beyond the Home app reporting it's not working. 

So I'll just wait until the holiday deals and buy a replacement from a real hardware vendor that supports it's products. Then I'll put this rubbish on eBay for someone else to deal with. 

FJO
Community Member
September 2022, and the bug is still there.
The ipv6 toggle only works for a few minutes, then they appear offline again, so it’s no fix.

rrrccc57
Community Member

Yeah, I was going to say, give it a few minutes ...

mispri1
Community Member

So. I'm having the same problem with the router saying its offline (along with intermittent internet etc). Did the factory reset and now can't get the points to reconnect. To I just give the product a bad review and buy something else because it sure doesn't seem from this thread that they have a fix or are doing anything about a defective product.

mispri1
Community Member

Okay everyone. Try first reset factory network settings with the home app. Then once this resets, Go to each device and hold the little button on the bottom for 30 seconds. Wait ten minutes and then reset up the whole system.

rrrccc57
Community Member

No, tried that and more, resetting everything to make it work properly for a few minutes or hours is not a fix or solution, it's ridiculous.

I'm no longer putting effort into trying to fix this. They need to push out a fix.  This is nutty.  But, thank you for trying. 

Linus
Community Member

I think the situation with the lack of Google support for this problem has gone too far.  I suggest everyone post a one star reviews for google home and the google routers.  If anyone has any contacts with competent people at Google, perhaps you can reach out.  I don’t want to see Google fail with these devices and software.  I want them to fix the problem they have already acknowledged!  What they have not acknowledged is if the teams responsible have knowledge of the problem and are doing anything to fix it. There is no way to escalate support through the normal Google support structure that I have been able to find. 

AzMech
Community Member

The original issue here is clearly a bug with the google home app. A more productive way to get Google's attention would be to submit feedback in the app (click on your profile pic in the top right, and select feedback). A large number of bugs reported in feedback would be sure to get engineering attention, giving the product a negative review would only alert the marketing team. However, some folks here seem to also have some hardware issues and those may be harder to report.  

FJO
Community Member

I've done this multiple times over the last few months... unless there's loads of similar reports, the app feedback gets you nowhere...

Fixthebug
Community Member

September 11, the bug is still alive

JessicaW
Community Member

Does anyone know if there is any solution to this issue? I just spent one hour talking to Google Custer service. They asked me to factory reset all of my routers and re add them. It Didn’t Work!!!

FJO
Community Member

Still no solution. My guess is that (like many other GH bugs) this may be solved by Matter, soon to go live, reason why Google is not fixing it…

Jayjay2
Community Member

Today is September 11 and still no fix!

Chubbyonekenobi
Community Member

Goog sent a replacement router to me, which basically still have the exact problem (my problem is not just with the app but also intermittent dropping of devices). Ended up processing refund (which fortunately honoured by the shop I bought it from) and return the device altogether.

Intermittent dropping of devices can usually be caused by leaving your ISP router broadcasting WiFi, hence interfering with the mesh. If you haven’t yet done this, try going into the ISP router settings and switching off WiFi, so the only WiFi source in your home is the Google Nest mesh.

Eric63
Community Member

No fix yet for IPhone users

Google have gone quiet on us as well

disappointing service so far 

PorboyNZ
Community Member

NZ update. Back in May I had 3 of 6 hardwired AP’s showing offline on Google Home. I could still access the settings for the supposedly offline AP’s and change the LED brightness plus they were still providing  functional mesh WiFi. I factory reset the offline AP’s using the hardware button (not via the Home App). I hesitate to tempt fate by posting this, but all 6 are still online and functional. Google Home is running on an Android Samsung S21SE. There are 30 plus devices either connecting by WiFi or hardwired via 2 switches. They are all the original AC-1304 models and the so called Nest WiFi router is directly connected to my provider using PPoE and VLAN 10 tagging (Google Home identifies it as a Nest in the App, but it’s a plain old AC-1304, same as all of them)

JedKalel
Community Member

Called Google Nest tech support today (09/16/2022) then got transferred to Wifi department and got told that it’s an ongoing issue and that their developers are working on a fix….. What spectacular efficiency!! 

Thanks for sharing JedKalel!

Really! They have made that comment back in May 2022 and their developers haven’t pushed a fix yet for the WiFi router & Google Home app 

jkblaq
Community Member

I have this issue on my iOS device but not my Samsung S22

shlensky
Community Member

Same problem. Nest mesh wifi points show offline in the Home app (iOS) but continue to work as normal. Fortunately, the bug does not affect how the mesh devices work.

I too have IOS…Moreover, it affects the Alexa & Google relationship to smart automation devices. It’s still an issue with the numerous complaints by Google Home app owners with repeated reboots for disconnected smart devices including laptops. Since May 2022, there’s no fix to-date on the software bug.

FJO
Community Member

Intermittent dropping of devices can usually be caused by leaving your ISP router broadcasting WiFi, hence interfering with the mesh. If you haven’t yet done this, try going into the ISP router settings and switching off WiFi, so the only WiFi source in your home is the Google Nest mesh.

JedKalel
Community Member

I’m running iOS and today 9/22/2022 the “Google Home” app pushed a new update, I was hoping it would fix the issue but IT DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE. I don’t know how Google developers can’t fix the glitch, it’s been present for over 5 months!! Guess they are not putting much importance to it since they say that “everything works and it’s only an app glitch that shows “offline” when indeed it still works. Seriously GOOGLE what efficiency!

I had the same experience today--updated the Google Home app on my iPhone (running iOS 16) hoping it would fix the problem, but it didn't. I had actually called Google at the beginning of this month (September) and reported the problem. The customer service rep said Google is aware of it. He also claimed Google has been working on a fix and will be releasing it by the end of September. I had high hopes this morning with the new pushed update for Google Home, but the update does NOT rectify the issue. 

Jayjay2
Community Member

I turned off the router in my ATT modem/router combo a long time ago when I first got google WiFi.  It sped up my WIFI insanely.  But all my google wifi points show OFFLINE.  I have an iPhone btw.  

Try setting IPV6 off and on if your mesh supports IPV6, or just turn it off if you aren't using IPV6  in your advanced network settings.  Someone suggested this and it worked for me.  Now all the routers show online.

I have no idea what an ipv6 is or even where to access it. Do I turn it off on google WiFi or my AT&T modem?  I shouldn’t have gotten google WiFi what a pain.  

rrrccc57
Community Member

It won't work anyway, in a little while the failure will come back. 

If you just bought it, I recommend returning it and getting a real system with real support. This problem has been here for months with no resolution. 

You’re right!  I just checked again the problem is back. For me, this is the only issue I’ve had with it. And while it is annoying, the WiFi itself is working well. Sorry you’re having so many problems!

Yes the "wifi" works fine but if you use any Google Home features/devices with automated routines, for example, turn lights on or off at 0600, you will find they work sporadically, 

Good luck, me, my system is a few years old and only started failing in March when google forced the change from Google the WifI app to the Home app, then all the home routines went wacky because it thinks things are offline.

I'm going to replace everything when the end of year sales start up around thanksgiving. I will not be purchasing any Google hardware in the future, there just isn't any support. Linksys and NetGear both have good replacements that work and have support. 

Thanks for the advice!

ReefReaper
Community Member

Have the same problem