cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google home wifi point shows offline but isn't

rrrccc57
Community Member

Pretty simple set up of original google home network, been working for years until recently

Office-Wifi connected to ISP modem, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81
FamilyRoom-Wifi mesh connection, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81

Both the devices were purchased from google in a 3 pack.

First issue, a few months ago, I don’t know the exact date but may have coincided with the forced switch to Google Home App; FamilyRoom-Wifi point starts going offline, at least it says so in the “home” app, and stays offline until re-boot/power-cycle. Note the Google Home App notification says the FamilyRoom-Wifi point is offline but the lights on the device don’t indicate a problem. What’s up with that?

Second issue, 2 Roku devices within 4 feet of FamilyRoom-Wifi point, the Home app shows device 1 excellent connection 2.4ghz, but shows a weak connection 5ghz for device 2. Device 1 is a relatively new Roku stick (2.4ghz) device 2 (5ghz) is a TCL Roku TV. Note, device 2 shows it has an "Excellent" connection while the Home app shows weak. What’s up with that?

1 Recommended Answer

You are correct @rrrccc57 

after force closing the Google home app it reappeared.  Like others I’m leaving this alone for now.  My internet is working fine and I have better things to do with my life :).  Hopefully Google can reproduce this and fix this on a future version.  Thanks again!

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

Cubatobaco
Community Member

Just upgraded to the 2nd gen. It’s working but, as everyone reports, it states “offline” or “loading”. I may send these back and try something else. 

That's what I recommend, I wouldn't buy anything from Google, support is non existent. My is past the return, I'll replace with a real vendor, D-Link, CISCO, Linksys when the end  of year sales start... then mine goes on eBay and no more hardware from Google, no home, no nest, no pixel 

LFS
Community Member

Actually not only WiFi points, even some of my devices from linked apps are showing offline time and again. I have to refresh the app to see the actual status.

Cubatobaco
Community Member

It’s really a shame. I suppose I’ll look for a more reliable router and mesh point brand at this point.  

LFS
Community Member

A shame really. It's a beautifully designed hardware that really blends into the interior fittings. Actually I really wish they have a auto reboot options for all their hardware as periodic reboots will help with wifi connectivity a lot.

DavidWestman
Community Member

D163BC21-A528-422C-BDAA-9BFE317789C7_1_102_o.jpeg

Glad I found this thread.  Purchased 4 pack from Costco yesterday and installed today.  Thought I did something wrong during setup.  WIFI working fine so I'll bury the Google Home app into a MISC folder of apps I never open.

Shermaneric
Community Member

I got this to work.

i had to completely remove my Google home entry, turned off the router and access points, unplugged the Ethernet cable from the router, waited one minute, plugged back in the Ethernet cable, turned on the router, connected it, then turned on the access point, waited one minute and connected it.

glad it works now but would looking forward to easier solutions going forward.  Thanks all for your help 

Give it a couple hours, maybe a day or so, and the problem will be back.

You are correct @rrrccc57 

after force closing the Google home app it reappeared.  Like others I’m leaving this alone for now.  My internet is working fine and I have better things to do with my life :).  Hopefully Google can reproduce this and fix this on a future version.  Thanks again!

O_G
Community Member

So I have the fix. I called Google and the fix is simple.

You have to change your ISP router/modem to bridge mode. I have Xfinity and I assume that when I upgraded my modem this problem started but I never made the correlation. 

GregorF
Community Member

Thank you, this worked for me as well. As soon as I set my 4G router to bridge mode, the Google Wifi router showed as online again. I didn't even need to restart the Google Home app, let alone any devices.

This has not fixed my problem.  I am unable to run any tests, change any settings or look at stats.  This is complete garbage.  I'm selling all 6 of my pucks on eBay tomorrow and buying a Netgear wireless router. 

Same issue. I’ve had these for years and they’ve worked with no problems, but as soon as it made me switch to the Google Home app everything just stopped working. It says my points are off-line but they are clearly on. All the troubleshooting I have been trying to do has been driving me crazy because nothing works.

aabousei
Community Member

I stopped worrying about this, I simply use an Android phone to manage Google Home and that is it 

rrrccc57
Community Member

I pretty much did the same. I did have to stop using my Google "smart home" devices, a mini speaker and 2 light "smart" lightbulbs, they wouldn't work when the point showed offline. The WIFI works for phone and computer devices, but it looks like the "smart home" devices/functions don't work... if you're not into a "smart home", it really doesn't matter. 

Interesting. My smart home devices still work even in this weird state. I have several smart lights connected to it. 

I agree interesting...

Do you run any schedules/routines on the lights? I do, on at time, off at time, and they don't work more often than they do.

yes I do. Seem to work fine. Just wish they’d fix the problem!

Even more interesting.

Where/what device do you use to run the routines?

I was using a Google mini speaker with the mic turned off. Do you use the mic? 

Jayjay2
Community Member

I run schedules using Kasa plugs and they are all working fine.  If only my wifi points would show ONLINE on my iPhone but Google doesn’t care enough to fix that.  I have a Google mIni.  My mic is turned on.  

akalati
Community Member
Got this email from a support supervisor last month. Needless to say problem still persists despite being on this latest firmware rev. Such useless mediocrity with a pinch of audacity for good measure...
--
Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

I just got information from our team regarding the app issue. They stated that an upcoming update firmware version 14150.376.32 that should come out no later that no later that the 1st week next month and it resolve the issue regarding the network showing as offline. Let us know if the issue would still persist even after the firmware update.

For your reference your case number is 6-6059XXXXXXX. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Thank you,
Mark

The Google Nest Customer Care Team

H2Ogo
Community Member

Thanks for update.  Where do we find the current firmware version number for the app?

FJO
Community Member

Issue is still there… will this be resolved with the massive app update to follow the release of Matter?

Matt_SM
Community Member

Latest update finally fixes the issue on iOS 

Finally!!

What is this sorcery?!?!

When was the update?

Yesterday

Google Home update v2.60.108

As of 2.60.108 (2 days ago) according to apple store version history 

Yes!  I have confirmed this works too

FJO
Community Member

Yup, works for me too...

JedKalel
Community Member

Yes after over 6 months google FINALLY fixed the issue with an update, well at least for iOS users, I don’t have android. But hooray google!!! 

12atwood
Community Member

I just installed Google Home version 2.60.108, uploaded Oct 26, 2022.  It shows all my wifi point as online (which it hadn't ever done before).  So perhaps the fix is available in this new version.

CocoHenn7
Community Member

So glad I sold mine enough was enough 

Jayjay2
Community Member

OMG!!!! Showing online on my iPhone after updating the app!!!!  But will it last? I feel like it’s a dream that will be snatched away!! 

Faith ... ya gotta have faith ....

Not me, 6 months to address this issue? Like I said, I'll replace all my Google Hardware around Black Friday and never purchase another piece of Google Hardware again, no Nests, no Pixels, nothing. No more Google Home for me  

JeffreyLA33
Community Member

Mine is working!  Yay!

Seems to be fixed, thanks Google!

Jayjay2
Community Member

I’m not thanking google they took way too long for this it’s outrageous 

rrrccc57
Community Member

Me either, as I've said, I'm replacing when the black Friday sales hit, no more Google hardware in my house, ever. 

H2Ogo
Community Member

Wi-Fi status displays correctly now for me in upgraded Google Home app.