cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google home wifi point shows offline but isn't

rrrccc57
Community Member

Pretty simple set up of original google home network, been working for years until recently

Office-Wifi connected to ISP modem, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81
FamilyRoom-Wifi mesh connection, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81

Both the devices were purchased from google in a 3 pack.

First issue, a few months ago, I don’t know the exact date but may have coincided with the forced switch to Google Home App; FamilyRoom-Wifi point starts going offline, at least it says so in the “home” app, and stays offline until re-boot/power-cycle. Note the Google Home App notification says the FamilyRoom-Wifi point is offline but the lights on the device don’t indicate a problem. What’s up with that?

Second issue, 2 Roku devices within 4 feet of FamilyRoom-Wifi point, the Home app shows device 1 excellent connection 2.4ghz, but shows a weak connection 5ghz for device 2. Device 1 is a relatively new Roku stick (2.4ghz) device 2 (5ghz) is a TCL Roku TV. Note, device 2 shows it has an "Excellent" connection while the Home app shows weak. What’s up with that?

1 Recommended Answer

You are correct @rrrccc57 

after force closing the Google home app it reappeared.  Like others I’m leaving this alone for now.  My internet is working fine and I have better things to do with my life :).  Hopefully Google can reproduce this and fix this on a future version.  Thanks again!

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

rrrccc57
Community Member

It kind of cracks me up that some people expect Google to do something about this... face Google doesn't care about this

Yeah. Barking at the moon I know, but it's good to vent. Better that than going postal.

I'm all for barking at the moon... kudos your way!

mota18268
Community Member

I have been experienced this for a long time, and the issue still keep coming even I have fact reset the network. 

Google now is really a **bleep**, I will never buy any Google hardware

I seems resolved the issue.

It seems related with the opendns settings. I setup the opendns on my network, and filtered some website, and the issue happened after these opendns filtering applied. And the issue disappeared after the opendns filtering is removed.

Further more, it seems related with the google.com and youtube.com domain name, after I added these 2 domain name as always allowed in the opendns setting, and then the issue is resolved.

Bless you and everyone dear to you! THANK YOU! Had his problem over one year and wasted many hours on it. I actually had searched for possible links to opendns but didn't find anything. Today I set opendns to allow everything and manually added google.com and youtube.com. Google Wifi was back to normal within a minute. Oddly enough, I was playing with the settings because I do need youtube to be blocked. But now, I'm back to the same exact opendns settings as before and everything is still working!?!?!?

There was some delay, if you change the setting back, you will probably see the issue again tonight or tomorrow.

letlancaster
Community Member

Wow. Just, wow. I have been having the same "offline" issue for quite some time. Just been too busy to worry about it. Now todY, finally, I had time to research this issue. I opened this up and see that this has been a reported problem since at least Msy of last year. Just about to be only 2 months shy of a year. ONE SOLID YEAR!!!  Really, Google? Ir better than that. Or are you?

Samosley
Community Member

Same issue here. Point shows offline in Home app, but when I run a mesh test, shows great connection. 

FJO
Community Member

Are you guys running the new Google Home app public Preview? It seems to work fine in it…

Jayjay2
Community Member

Mine is working right now. Afraid to mess with it.  

Mike174
Community Member

I thought something was wrong and sure enough after doing a search I’m not imagining things. This has been going on for at least a year now and still not fixed? I may consider an alternative mesh network and stay clear of anything google.

"an alternative mesh network and stay clear of anything google."

This is the way.

akalati
Community Member

My issue ended up being because of opendns. 

I'm pretty sure that's how mine started as well. I was using ad guard DNS manually configured in my main Google router. Once I turned it back to the default DNS and made one of the newer nest nodes my main router, I've never had the problem again and it's been almost a year I believe.

LFS
Community Member

The current generation of Google Nest speakers (Mini, Audio, Hub 2) might be going obsolete soon. They are completely sold out in my country's Google Store and major electronics retailers.