cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wired / Wireless Upload speeds capped at 100mbps? ATT Fiber

sliderkb2
Community Member

I have gigabit internet through att fiber and just bought a google nest wifi 2 pack a week ago. Setup was a breeze and everything looked good until I noticed my upload speeds were capped at 100mbps on every device behind the nest. Google advised a replacement so I did just that. Everything looked perfect for a day - i was getting expected speeds for wired at 800mbps and wireless was around 300 - 400mbps up and down. I check today - same issue as before where all devices are getting great download speeds but capped at 100mbps upload. I found out, however, that if I select a device as priority in google home, that device now works as I expect. Its like the nest is throttling every device in my network for some reason unless i say otherwise. The priority settings fixes both wired and wireless settings. Im pretty sure the problem must be on the Google side since that change fixes the issue. If I could prioritize all devices 24 hours a day, I would be happy with that workaround 🙂

For reference the setup is

ATT ONT --- ATT Router (bypass mode) --- Google Wifi

Wifi has been disabled on the ATT router and that router is now simply forwarding all traffic to the google nest. I put in a ticket with google who requested I put the router in bypass mode and force DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, These changes made no difference. They then requested logs and are reviewing the files I sent them via the home app and will get back to me. During testing, they told me not to prioritize a device but thats the only way things work as they should. Im seriously considering returning the nest wifi but wanted to hear if anyone else had issues like this. Again, two different nest routers having the exact same issue. 

I put in a ticket with ATT who said there should be nothing on their end throttling the traffic. If I plug my computer into the same att router port as the google wifi (move the nest off the port, then replace with my computer), the computer links up at a gig and the speeds look fine. 

832 REPLIES 832

K13
Community Member

As I continue to troubleshoot Google's products for free (lol), I have noticed an oddity.

During the error periods (where my connection from router to devices drops from 300 to 5) - if I go into the Google home wifi settings -> Privacy Settings and disable "Nest Wifi Cloud services" - the problem instantly goes away and my speeds are restored! 

This is obviously a poor solution, as Google disables your connection metrics when you do this - but it does seem to allow the internet to work without the buggy network logic in their cloud DCs that seem to be the cause of the issue.

Either that - or toggling this setting just causes a soft network reboot - which has the same effect (just temporary).

Hoping it's the former though - and that routing away from their cloud servers avoids the issue permanently. TBD.

3rd_base
Community Member

Trying this now.... Crossing fingers...

Update: worked for a few mins, then back to crappy speeds.

Thanks for the hint though... That's more than Google has told us so far!

K13
Community Member

Oh really? Bummer. Mine has actually been pretty good for about 36 hours since making the change - though I did "also" restart my network after making the change.

Maybe it will "settle"? I'm still monitoring myself - I would imagine some settings may exist on the router for a time, and then eventually will be expunged if they're not able to be refreshed from the cloud. So it may get better over a few hours I think.

The real test of whether or not this works lies in the 6 hr to 72 hour range I think. TBD.

Holliday21
Community Member

My slowdowns took around a week to crop up after every restart, just a heads up.

K13
Community Member

Oh really? Hmm. Mine have been extremely variable. Shortest was about 4 hours after, longest was 4 days. Probably averages 1 day for me.

I honestly can't remember getting more than 4 days without having issues since I purchased it a couple months ago :-).

Sounds like there is great variability for folks. I think this lends to the idea that Google's software is doing some "optimizations" on each user's network, which manifests differently depending on each user's setup.

These google routers are outsmarting themselves. Too fancy for their own good.

3rd_base
Community Member

To try to get around the "wireless slowness" problem, I jacked into the closest wifi puck with a wired connection, first time I'd done that, other than the router that has the Phillips Hue hanging off it.  Anyway, it works, but I still have a slow connection, and its even dropped the wired connection 2 or 3 times today already.  All of my other wireless connections are stable, but horribly slow still.  

Friday, and my new non-Google mesh system can't get here fast enough.

wparish81
Community Member

So as an experiment, I took a page from @K13’s playbook and disabled the cloud privacy settings and performed a soft reset.
I’d like to report that, even after several days, it had a profound effect on performance. While it still doesnt come close to advertised. I jumped from 100 or less up and down to over 300 up and down. 
Thought Id share…

Will

K13
Community Member

@wparish81 Awesome ! Same for me. I've been solid since doing it myself (about 4 days) and coming up on breaking my own stability records.

I think if it's not the root cause, it's a strong factor. Turning off that setting I believe either totally disables, or restricts information going to, Google's cloud network management suites.

3rd_base
Community Member

One thing I didn't do was do a reboot of the system.  I'll set this again and reboot.  Unfortunately becuase of the instability, I drove into work (instead of working from home), so I can't really give feedback until later today/tomorrow.

K13
Community Member

Interesting. Perhaps the cloud policies get cached on the device, and need a reboot once the setting is disabled to be cleared?

MikeAlpine
Community Member

Unfortunately, making that settings change had only a minor impact for me.  I disabled the setting and there was no immediate change. I restarted the network and, as usual, speeds jumped back up to 180/37 (I pay for 200/35, so that's more than fine).  Today I am back to 40/30.  Not good.

I had similar issue. By deactivating de google cloud services many of the linked third party platforms to google home ( like shelly cloud) stoped working too. Hence had to switch back but speed remained high. Probably until next cycle. Maybe a caching issue 

3rd_base
Community Member

Possibly, but I'm working from home today, and after the changes made yesterday things are working MUCH better.

I'm 2.5 days in after I made the change.  Been working from home exclusively for 2 of those days (the last 2), and things are still very good.  Was even able to stream 4k again.

Just got home and tested, the speed is back to normal!!! So excited! Let's see how long it holds out!

pugdug
Community Member

Woohoo - I also changed this setting and rebooted. It's definitely running faster than it has since all this started! Fingers crossed it's fixed for real. 

Sincere759
Community Member

I tried this myself and yeah it’s a drastic improvement… see screenshot. Top two speeds are after disabling cloud services and rebooting network. Let’s see how long this lasts 

E24075DD-B15E-4FB3-97A7-65F76C07002C.jpeg

I wish I could get results like this. I toggled my cloud services off again. I pay for 400MBPS. I did a network reset from the app. Speed actually got slower in test. I unplugged all my points and router, plugged in one by one (this time only router and 3 points instead of 5 points for both levels of home) and I am getting 130mbps. Better, but still realistically bad.

I'm following this topic for a long long time and based on users feedback there is no setup configuration that solve the google wifi disconnects and slow speed. 

The fact that we as users and consumers are doing more to figure this out than google is speaks VOLUMES. 

pgonzo
Community Member

Wow, this was it for me. I was getting about 60 - 110 upload and now I'm getting my full 200 Mbps upload. My download was always working at full capacity.

HOW HAVE THEY NOT FIXED THIS YET?! Thank you for the tip kind internet stranger!

My cloud settings will remain until/unless Google ever fixes this bug... at least I'll have a functioning network now. 

DavidCo
Community Member

Did anyone else get new terms and conditions email today. Have to say I laughed out loud. Guess which part ...!

You can review the new terms here. At a glance, here’s what this update means for you:

• More clarity on what you can expect from Google. We’re providing more transparency about how we develop, improve, and update our devices and services – including more detail about the reasons we make changes and legally required updates.

Maybe this is what we are all waiting for

GeneHunt
Community Member

Yes, I got the same laughable message. They may not like my reply

DavidCo
Community Member

Received my replacement router yesterday and installed this morning. Today I had no drops (on my Mac, I WFH) and currently getting full 500/50 when testing speed.

Interestingly when setting up the point again I got a message to say that the Nest Wifi point was manufactured for a different country and may not be compatible with you WiFi Network. 🤔

I'll update again tomorrow.

How did you get a replacement?  I got mine over a year ago at Costco.  I doubt they'll replace mine at this point. 

@rickangeles 

I got the router and point directly from Google and even then only a little over 3-4 months ago. Also I'm in Dublin, Ireland so I get fantastic consumer protection as Ireland is a member of the European Union. Under the directive I have a minimum 2-year legal guarantee against faulty products, or products that do not look or work as advertised.

As per:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:############

One of the most important pieces of EU consumer legislation is the Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees (1999/44/EC). Under the Directive you have a minimum 2-year legal guarantee against faulty products, or products that do not look or work as advertised. These are known as your statutory rights. The national law in some Member States may allow for longer periods. In Ireland the time limit (also known as the limitation period) is 6 years.

Not much help to you as Costco suggests to me that you got your products in the US.

I like how google hashed out (######) part of the link.. 😑 

Nice job with the censorship Commrade Google.. 👍🏻

DavidCo
Community Member

Hmm. Forgot Google doesn't like URL's.

Replace ##### above with ############

This is the legal bit about two years:

(17) Whereas it is appropriate to limit in time the period during which the seller is liable for any lack of conformity which exists at the time of delivery of the goods; whereas Member States may also provide for a limitation on the period during which consumers can exercise their rights, provided such a period does not expire within two years from the time of delivery; whereas where, under national legislation, the time when a limitation period starts is not the time of delivery of the goods, the total duration of the limitation period provided for by national law may not be shorter than two years from the time of delivery;

So basically my two years just started again yesterday as I received a replacement part (my non legal understanding)

DavidCo
Community Member

FFS:

3 1 9 9 9 L 0 0 4 4 - without the spaces obviously

DavidCo
Community Member

Or open Duck Duck Go and search for "Directive 1999/44/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 May 1999 on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees"

dasubermind
Community Member

This should be a class action against google. I have purchased original wifi as well as new nest wifi and they are crap! Google should send us all refunds!

Michael1909
Community Member

Hi all. Was just search for some hints on the internet as i’m experiencing the same issues in my home. I just changed. I suddenly had issues and blamed my ISP for it first. I changed to a faster one (400/400) and had my 6 google Nest WIFI/Routers connected to it. It work perfectly for the first 10 days, then suddenly up and download spread dropped to 90/90. Nothing has helped, changing devices, reboot, new installation  but when i connect other devices directly to my ISP routers i get the full speed. Very frustrating 

wtf
Community Member

Same problem here. My ISP provides 300mbps. When I first install the Google Router I get 300 mbps (cable) but after a couple of days the speed goes down to 80 or 90 mbps. No changes from my side, no new settings, updates in my ISP router, no new machines... NOTHING.  The ISP router is always giving 300mbps, this is working fine.

Moreover, every 2-3 weeks my "Google network" breaks. I have to reset (factory reset) eeeeverything again and it works. 300 mbps for a couple of weeks, then back to 80 or 90 mbps. Then it breaks again. Really disgusting.

Some days ago I went to the shop and replaced the pack. I got a new one and now I'm getting the same problems, so I assume this is a but in the firmware, for sure.  To be honest... this kind of problems after paying about $300 is not acceptable. I won't renew this product.

Michael1909
Community Member

thanks for letting me know. absolutely. looks like some firmware issues, will probably also change to another hw-vendor. does not make any sense.

Did you change your setting as described below and reboot the system?  Its worked wonders for me so far, not everyone seems to see a difference, but some do.

sorry… i don’t see any description? would be great if u could send them again

thx a lot

wtf
Community Member

Which setting should I change? Thanks!

You can try, but I'm sure that after some hours/days you'll realize that it does not work.
What guys are trying to do is:

1. Disable device priority;
2. Turn off Guest Network;
3. Reboot.

Some of then are disabling IPV6 and Nest Wifi Cloud Service, but once again, nothing works, I'm here for more than 1 year reading this topic and the original older one.

Hi guilhermesalema, thanks for your reply.

I can't find the comment where I read this workaround in this thread, but it worked for me:

The the speed went down, I unplugged the cable from my ISP router to the Google router. After 15 or 20 seconds I plugged it again and the speed was 300mbps again.

No need to restart anything or factory reset.

This is not a permanent solution but at least it can help until Google gives a real solution.

Regards!

DavidCo
Community Member

Day 02 of my replacement router and still no drops on my Mac. None that I've noticed at least.