cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can't control TV volume anymore

Komi
Community Member

Curious thing if anyone might be able to explain what's happening.

I have a Samsung TV, using SmartThings to link it to Google Assistant, and everything was working fine.
Even now I can still ask the assistant to turn on and off the TV, change the source, but when I ask to set the TV volume to a given value rather than adjusting it it sets the speaker's own volume.
Changed no configurations and this began to happen 2~3 days ago. Rebooted speaker, but all the same.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

1 Recommended Answer

coulterk
Community Member

I have a Google Smart Hub and use it to change all my wireless devices by voice. I've been running into this problem over the last couple of years. It seems to work...then it doesn't. Then it does. I just tried the phrase posted by ToddR99 on 10-26-22 to say "Hey Google, TV volume 45" making the volume number match my Samsung TU7000 AND IT WORK! It's been over a month that it didn't...but I don't think I tried that EXACT phrase. I tried it twice while I'm typing this and it still worked. Thanks. I hope this helps...although it sounds like you've tried it.

View Recommended Answer in original post

109 REPLIES 109

JesonMichael
Community Member

I did call in and speak to someone that didn’t know much and they just wanted to take me through all the general troubleshooting list and I told them that I had done it all already, it is updated, it needs an update to fix whatever you changed that’s not letting it happen anymore. I had the issue escalated and they are suppose to have someone call me tomorrow. 

rolor33
Community Member

Google was sued by Sonos for some of the technology that Google is using. Google backed down thus we lose. I'm about ready to toss this bitch out the window and go with another platform. My thermostat is supposed to be Google compatible but when Google upgraded they left a lot of the companies tied to Google behind. I think I'll tear it apart and look at its guts first and then toss it out if there's nothing that I need. Those LED lights might actually be worth keeping...

SaintsXIV
Community Member

Same for me, I've even tried saying things like "TELEVISION" or the brand of the TV, and it only adjust the volume of the Google Home Mini.

Oddly enough "Mute" still works.

CristianCiocoi
Community Member

The same is happening to me with my LG TV. Until 2 days ago it worked fine. Now the Assistant adjusts the volume of the device that the command was initiated on ( nest mini, phone etc.). This is a huge deal breaker for the hole Google Nest ecosystem. Please resolve this issue!

Marlysammy
Community Member

Why on Earth is Google silent on this??!! I just started having this exact issue with my Samsung smart tv, it is driving me crazy. Nest and Google Assistant either doesn't do anything or says it doesn't understand my volume control commands.  I assume Alexa still works fine? Is anybody using Alexa? Google is having far too many of these minor glitches these days, good chance to check out Alexa for once now 

Ethaniel
Community Member

Wow I’ve been having the same issue for the passed week man 

AndrewCroad
Community Member

I can also confirm this is happing with my google mini and logitech remote. Ask it to turn TV volume down and it turns the mini's volume down. 

Kingtrax4
Community Member

I am having the same issue, Been going on for about a week.

gigitromba
Community Member

Same with my nest mini 2 and Sony Bravia Android TV

connorske
Community Member

I have been having this issue for over a week. I just tried a fix that seems to work. Remove the verbs (e.g. "turn"). Instead of "hey google turn living room TV volume to 30" I said "hey google living room TV volume 30" and it worked. Hope this works for others

Mr_dude
Community Member

I'm having the same exact issue. I'm thinking it has to do with an update. Google mini volume will change, Samsung TV will not through voice command. I hope there's an answer or fix soon. 

Mr_dude
Community Member

Hey all, just wanted to say my issue is now fixed! Smart things app updated today after trying to use it to control the TV volume. I then attempted to change the volume from Google assistant and it worked immediately after I used the suggested Google prompt for TV volume to 20. After trying voice command it was successful as well. I hope it works for everyone else, Goodluck! 

Thanks for the update! It works for me now too. I just updated my Smarterthings app and now commands like "Increase [tv name] volume to 20" works. 

Justickle
Community Member

Same here with a Nest Mini and Sony Bravia TV. Until a few days ago I could say, “Hey Google, turn volume up on TV.” Now when I do that it turns the volume up on the Nest. 

Obviously some kind of bug introduced in an update from Google’s end.  

One workaround as posted above is to say, “Hey Google, volume on TV to 12.” I use a Panasonic soundbase with the TV, which only goes up or down in single increments using Google Assistant so it’s not perfect (TV will change from, say 10 to 12 but soundbase will change from 10 to 11) but at least it’s something.

Technology huh?!

AndrewCroad
Community Member

Hey all, just an update on what I have found so far is it's the phases being used that for some reason are not working. I would normally use “Hey Google, Turn TV volume up by 5." which currently is not working but if I use the phase “Hey Google, Increase/Decrease TV volume by 5." I use this method for my receiver and it works. Maybe play around with the phases to it work for you.

Montell
Community Member

This is still a problem, I used to be able to say along with family turn up the volume on bedroom tv. It now no longer works with smarthings or harmony. In typical google fashion change one thing and don't do any regression testing to see what else it effects.

Have you tried using the terms above others have mentioned? As I posted before it seems like the term "Turn" does not work. I have to use “Hey Google, Increase/Decrease TV volume by 5. key word being the increase/decrease instead of turn.

I have and it did not work but you should also not have to change the phrase or commands you have grown accustomed to as well as your family, google should be fixing this on there end after breaking it, that would be a proper solution.

If you get an update that breaks functionality the end user should not have to suddenly adapt and change how they use the product, that is backwards.

For people above that say it magically works again did your version update of Google home? Any insight into what changed now that it's magically working for a few.

Nope I did not.

Check out the reply from JesonMichael because that worked! “Hey Google, (TV Name) Volume (X)” 

I'm saying that in real time from my bedroom with the tv in the living room and it's definitely doing it's job 😃🙌🏾

Many cheers! 😃🍻

Yep we know the volume is better now but other commands are broken now.

rolor33
Community Member

I upgraded Google home and it started working again.

Montell
Community Member

To clarify what device and version?

BigRick
Community Member

I have a Samsung TV... Don't remember the model but it's a smart TV for sure.

I have a Google home, two Google minis, and a Google home display before they called it a nest hub

JesonMichael
Community Member

It works again for google home/nest/mini as long as I say, “Hey Google, (TV Name) Volume (X)” where X is whatever number you want it set at. That works good enough for me, now I don’t need to know where the TV remote is (which I literally use for nothing now). 

This worked!!!!!!!

MasterOfPuppet
Community Member

I have the same issue for past 3 weeks and it's driving me nuts.

The funny thing is that each of my Google home devices as well as my phone responds differently to my voice control command. For example, if I ask to increase the volume of my receiver, one of them increases its own volume, the other one turns on the TV (I have never set it up like that) and the google assistant on my phone sometimes it works sometimes it increases my phone's volume. 

Looks like this issue has started after Google removed the speaker group volume control feature as a result of the legal battle they lost against Sonos.

I am just waiting to see if the new update can make any difference.

So frustrating!

NRHTX2006
Community Member

This is happening to me as well. I cannot figure out what the heck is happening.I tried disconnecting the Home for about a minute and then I unlink my Smartthings account and linked it back with no luck. I can pause/resume my Samsung Smart Tv with no issues. Also when I set a timer, it starts to ring on all my other home devices. I have a feeling this has to be related to the Sono lawsuit

Could be, they probably had to remove some code from Sonos for group volume control and likely there was little to no regression testing done by Google and it has broken individual volume control for things like smartthings Samsung TV and Logitech Harmony.

AndrewCroad
Community Member

This is BS google now my Google mini with not pause/un pause my TV now.

BigRick
Community Member

I'm having the same issue with my Samsung tv and Google mini, home speaker, and display. 

None seem to work with the TV anymore but adjust their own volume. 🙄

I hope this can be fixed

MilesDudley
Community Member

This issue has been resolved. Google pushed out an update.  However O still can not change he channel using Google without asking Google to ask harmony. Which is the old way. 

What has been resolved? It is still a problem for most of us. What version and what device are you using that resolves this? My google home still changes the volume on the google home and not the tv. 

I can control my volume and pause and stop on my tv, "unpause" sometimes works and then i have to use "Resume" command, I can not change channels. So Google have only semi fixed this.

NRHTX2006
Community Member

Update as of Jan 27th. I went looking again at my settings and everything was perfect. I decided to search on Twitter and I came across a video posted Jan 24, 2022. I played the video and for what ever reason the lady said Okay Google turn on TV. My freaking Samsung TV turned on. I said to myself what the heck. So I said Okay Google turn off TV, this works saying TV. I tried again and said Okay Google turn on TV. This is the name that I renamed it and the TV did not turn on. I then decided to say Okay Google turn on Samsung TV and the TV turned on. I tried the volume and said Okay Google raise TV volume by 4 and nothing, but the Google Home volume went up. I them tried saying Okay Google raise Samsung TV volume by 4 and it worked. The weird thing is. If I say Okay Google turn off TV it works fine. 

Here is the link of the lady trying her Google mini turning on the TV. 

https://twitter.com/welcome_nash/status/########################9?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etwe...

I never had a problem with turning on and off the TV but I also found if you say OK G "Increase" / "Decrease TV volume by ... " works. At the moment OK G turn TV volume UP/Down by ... is working again. Also Google controls mine through my Logitech activities and my volume is via my AV receiver BUT regardless of what the volume is on the problems itself is with Googles voice commands. Google needs to get their A into G because this is the bread and butter of why most people have a  google system to be able to control other items.

Montell
Community Member

I don't agree customers should change how they use voice commands, the end user should not be adapting to faults of the software. That is backwards.

One frustrating thing I have found if I say "ok google turn down volume on bedroom tv"

That will work. 

If I throw in "the" and say "ok google turn down THE volume on bedroom tv" it turns down the volume on my google nest home speaker whatever they call it now.

This is pretty ridiculous and simply going to lead to more confusion and issues for customers and likely more tickets opened for Google. Throwing "The" in completely changes behavior is insane. Google can do better and I don't recall this being a problem previously.

KeithB342
Community Member

I found I can control my tv as the main account but others in my Google home now can not control the tv as they were once able to...

Splicer0
Community Member

Has a solution for this been found or should I start buying a different brand for controlling my home devices? If Google isn't interested in fixing the problem I'd rather spend money on a device that is run by a company that fixes bugs. 

ToddR99
Community Member

Mine was working perfectly on my old Google Home and Google Home Mini until I got a new Nest Audio a few weeks ago.  Once that was installed, sometimes the set TV volume would work, sometimes it wouldn't.  Sometimes the mini near the TV worked while the Nest Audio in the kitchen would just set it's own volume no matter what.  Sometimes both worked.  I found that if I went into the Home App on my phone, manually adjusted the Sony TV volume, from that point the Nest Audio and Mini would control the volume no matter how I said it.  Then a few days later, nothing.  I have not tried what was suggested here ("Hey Google, Sony TV Volume XX") yet.  As of yesterday saying it multiple other ways using the word set or adjust the volume on the TV (or Sony TV) to XX did not work.   When I called support the guy I spoke to was very nice, however no matter what we did in the testing or what the result, he simply wrote it off to poor wifi signal which I do not have.  I kept telling him that if that was the case, why will the Nest Audio ALWAYS turn on/off the TV or mute the TV or Pause?  If it was a signal issue, it wouldn't do those either.  Very frustrating.