cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOME mini UNRESPONSIVE thread - "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem"

halupto
Community Member

Hi guys, here´s thread for anyone who´s experiencing "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem". Possible news from Google, solutions or fix to be written here. Seems this issue affected lot of devices, let´s see what can be done about it and what will be Google´s reaction to this situation.

Moderator edit: Subject updated for clarity and findability

2 Recommended AnswerS

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing details in the comments here and for submitting feedback reports to our team.

We’ve identified the cause of this issue and have stopped the software rollout.

If you’ve been impacted by this issue, we want to make things right: Please reach out to Google Nest support at g.co/nest/contact for assistance.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this— we're here to help if you have any other questions.

View Recommended Answer in original post

gileswells
Community Member

Sadly it appears this is, at least for now, only available in the US. Replacements have been authorized and I've got the steps that I went through to request AND BE APPROVED FOR IT.

I got my replacement options last night after my last time chatting with Google early in the morning on the 23rd. Either I can return mine and then they send a replacement or I buy a new one (through an individualized link) and they just put a hold on the card which they will release once the return is received. I had to go through some steps with the chat rep Ana (she was great and very patient) including trying the 10x reboot thing and then also sending a quick video of it locking up.

Here's how I got to this point:

1. I went to the contact link that @KiiFromGoogle listed and clicked on the Google Home category and said something about my device being bricked in the text field.
    1. As someone that has worked chat support for other companies before I will say this up front, be courteous, stick to the facts, and overall be genuinely thankful for their assistance. You'll get so much further with being a polite person.
  2. In talking with the rep and confirming that the device was purchased in the United States (I believe I've seen reports that some countries didn't get replacements last time there was a bricking event like this so your results may vary if you're in another country), we started trying some debugging to ensure that it was in fact bricked. Those steps included:
    1. Rebooting the device 10 times through powering it off, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. We then waited for it to get to the 4 solid white lights before unplugging and doing it all over again. It never got to the "Welcome to Google Home" or whatever it was supposed to say.
    2. We then tried to hold the reset button for 5 seconds (which makes it go into reset mode) and then an additional 10 seconds (which confirms the desire to reset?). This just ended up with 2 white lights for me until I powered it off again and then back on which is when I got back to the 4 white lights.
    3. The last thing that Ana had me do was take a 45 second video showing off the device being plugged in and then it freezing at 4 white LEDs. This was the most annoying part of the process because my phone can't get low enough resolution to get 45 seconds of video and be under the 25mb file transfer limit offered by Gmail. Additionally the file upload included in the chat doesn't receive video files so I had to use email. I tried to offer her a Google Drive link but in the end she just asked that I send as long of a video as I could which ended up being about 15 seconds.
  3. After she had enough evidence, she sent it off to her supervisors to get approval. A supervisor wasn't available so I had to wait 24-48 hours for a response.
  4. 42 hours later I received an email asking for mailing and contact information. This included my name, mailing address (with country) and phone number.
  5. Just an hour later I received my confirmation that I was eligible for a replacement device. I replied with my preference for the Standard Exchange option and am waiting on further instructions. (I'll post that email below)

This is where I am currently in the process but figured it was good enough to post some good news as Google has confirmed that I will be getting a replacement unit for my out of warranty device!

This is the email that I received detailing my replacement options:

Hello Giles,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

Congratulations! You are eligible for a replacement.

We have 2 option of the process:

1. Standard Exchange replacements don't require an authorization hold, and a replacement device isn't sent to the customer until Google’s warehouse receives the defective device. Customers are advised to return their product within 14 days according to the RMA instructions; however, in total, the customer will have 45 days from RMA creation to return the defective unit using the shipping labels. The RMA will be canceled if the labels are not exercised or used after 45 days. If the product is returned after this then it is returned to the customer and they are advised to contact support for a new RMA.
  2. Advanced Exchange allows the customer to check out their replacement device from the Google Store via an Advanced Exchange replacement cart link (RCL) sent to their email before they return their original device. The RCL is valid for 90 days and the customer may complete the checkout process anytime within that period.

Once they complete the checkout process, we put an authorization hold on their credit card for the full Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the replacement device. Once the authorization hold is approved, a replacement device is shipped to the customer in 2-7 business days.

Please let us know and reply to this email on which option you prefer.

For reference your case number is [my case number]. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Thank you,

Ana

^ Look at Ana being awesome. @KiiFromGoogle please, if you're able to, pass along my well wishes to Ana's leadership team. She was top notch, knew her stuff, and was great through the whole process.

12/27 edit is below. Also updated step 1 from the list to give clearer instructions on how to get to the right chat.

I got my return instructions. Essentially I box it up and take a QR code to FedEx and they will print the shipping label. The box needs to include both the Google Home Mini and the power cable. They also provide the link for how I can track the shipment as it heads off to Google for receipt and then 1-2 days after they receive it they should have a new one sent out to me.

Final update (1/3/2024): So Google made a mistake and accidentally sent me the full sized Nest Audio as a replacement instead of the Nest Mini that I was expecting. 🤯 I hope that others are able to get as lucky and that those out of the US are given better options for resolving their issues.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1,069 REPLIES 1,069

Same here, 375114.

My other Home Mini, that works, is on 384934.

Yes, same firm. Version here... Seems to be a problem of the update, any news?

MarkN
Community Member

If anyone is interested, I setup a whirlpool post for this as well. The more the merrier.
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3yqmkx8x

Also bricked in Korea. Original Google Home device.  My mini and 2 Nest home devices were acting weird and not always answering this week, but those seem better after a router restart.

My G mini, G Home Hub, all still ok. Just the 1st gen G Home... I hope this is not the way Google "forced Phased Out" older products ...

The same for me here in Italy... google home 1st gen bricked since 6/7 of dec. Tried all the reset procedures and nothing worked. It would be nonsense if we have just to buy another one.

Btw. I contacted the support and they told that my device is out of warranty and they can do nothing. I am just supposed to throw away the **bleep** brick and buy another one hoping that last more than 2 years. Embarassing

That answer was right if the product broken by 100% user fault. But, in this case,. We did nothing, even we didn't  know if there would be an automatic update on December 6, 2023. 

Should we ourselves be responsible for maker errors that are beyond our control ? 

If this is their policy, it would be best to explain THAT THERE WILL BE AN UPDATE RISK to potential customers before purchasing their SMART SPEAKER. 

But I still hope Google could give a wise policy and effective solution. 

Hola tengo el mismo. Problem help please 

thkrmr
Community Member

Mine was bricked, too. Google home speaker, 1st gen. Last known device info: System firmware version: 375114, Cast firmware: 2.57.375114. 10x reset routine had no effect.

I own $300 worth of additional Google Nest devices.  If this isn't fixed, I am selling all of them on the used market.  I can't afford to invest in their smart home system if this is the type of support we can expect.

It's also worth noting that Google is not updating the Google Play store on some Android phones from 3 years ago. There's a separate article on that.

Russ54
Community Member

Wow that's awful. It was just my first addition Google Home speaker that froze. The minis all are fine. I can't believe that this has all happened and that they haven't updated the Google Play Store. What do they expect us to do I wonder.

After 10x power cycle, saw orange light below mute button blinked, turned white (after 4 white lights appeared), turned orange, and 4 white lights disappeared, and the Google Home is not responding anymore...

Like everyone else here, after 6 Dec, it went dead...

Hello from Argentina, same problem, 4 lights on after the last update, and in my country Google does not have an official representative, the device is left without warranty... Who is responsible? Does anyone have a solution?

System firmware version: 375114, Cast firmware: 2.57.375114   

Hola desde Argentina, mismo problema, 4 luces encendidas después de la última actualización, y en mi país Google no tiene representante oficial, el dispositivo queda sin garantía... ¿Quién es el responsable? ¿Alguien tiene una solución?

Versión de firmware del sistema : 375114, firmware Cast: 2.57.375114

Just adding another voice to this problem. Stopped working around same time with phone showing the same firmware as everyone else. Google brick for sure. 

Seiji
Community Member

Does anyone have updates?

I have two mini gen1, and one of  them has had same issue, but the other is alive. Both have same firmware version.

I'm worried about the alive one also becomes stuck.

mcoene
Community Member

google support is still trying to make me test the connections using mobile hotspots instead of connecting to my (strong) wifi network... I think it is just to keep me busy...

mcoene
Community Member

OK... 
So yesterday, I did what they asked and... the google nest mini is working up until now!

It is not a final solution, but it is extra information for them to find a cause for this behaviour... lets hope they can work towards a solution

kentkorsw
Community Member

I managed to get to the point where the 12x I plugged in power cord into my G Home, the orange light below the mute button turned white after the 4 White light turned off, then the the light below the mute button start flashing orange, turned white for a while then orange and stay oranged for the last 10minutes.. 4 white lights have not returned.. no voice/sound heard yet ... I wait for another.. day?? 

SAD ... 

David5252
Community Member

Is this mean.. your Google Nest were stuck before, but it could works again with a new hotspot ? 

mcoene
Community Member

I don't know if I have the exact same problem as others, since my google nests were still listening, but only during the processing of a command, the 4 white leds kept stayed until an error message was given

Now, my commands get processed again (I was always able to find my google nest mini in google home, to add it etc)

Sadly... no... 

Same here. 4 white lights, won't reset

If the firmware killed them, and now the smart speakers are not connected, I don't see how we will get our speakers back...  Hopefully, I am wrong...

RenaMau
Community Member

Only hope I guess , is using the USB connection to somehow upload a new or old firmware

nevmc
Community Member

Apparently that connection is only power, I've asked on this forum, but it doesn't power mine, usb off the wall....🤔🤔

Same issue. They sent a faulty firmware and then say it's your problem. Terrible. Also the customer support looks like AI bots. No wonder we get no sympathy 

BirdyD
Community Member

Same here (Netherlands)

same here in Vancouver Canada, I have 3 other Google Mini Gen 1 and they are fine, but somehow one of them is bricked?

4 white lights and when press reset, just a green light. not booting up properly. Online chat with a rep says exactly the same thing. Engineers are aware and working on it... 

Same error here in Bilbao

I'm in Eastern Canada. I have two minis and one of them bricked overnight around the same date as everyone else. Same issue--unresponsive with four white lights.  This cannot be a coincidence.

Sugus
Community Member

Dame error from Barcelona. Device stucked with 4 White lights.

I have had the same issue with my Gen 1 Mini.  4 white lights, 1 green when I try and factory reset.  Power cycled 8 times (and more).  it just sits like a brick with lights

Lm92
Community Member

Same error from Italy. After a few Power cycle It Is stuck on 4 White leds

They have no idea how to fix it and no way to push an update out. I contacted Google support and they admitted it was a faulty update but absolutely refused a replacement. They suggested buying a newer device!

Usually.. a bad solution like that comes from a little company which has unresponsible policy. I was disappointed, it comes from Google. They should evaluate their aftersales service.

If they insist that customer should buy a new one.. What if this case happens again ? Should customer buy a new one again ? 

I hope Google Team hear our objections 

Same error in Spain, 4 pink lights and nothing works