cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOME mini UNRESPONSIVE thread - "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem"

halupto
Community Member

Hi guys, here´s thread for anyone who´s experiencing "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem". Possible news from Google, solutions or fix to be written here. Seems this issue affected lot of devices, let´s see what can be done about it and what will be Google´s reaction to this situation.

Moderator edit: Subject updated for clarity and findability

2 Recommended AnswerS

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing details in the comments here and for submitting feedback reports to our team.

We’ve identified the cause of this issue and have stopped the software rollout.

If you’ve been impacted by this issue, we want to make things right: Please reach out to Google Nest support at g.co/nest/contact for assistance.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this— we're here to help if you have any other questions.

View Recommended Answer in original post

gileswells
Community Member

Sadly it appears this is, at least for now, only available in the US. Replacements have been authorized and I've got the steps that I went through to request AND BE APPROVED FOR IT.

I got my replacement options last night after my last time chatting with Google early in the morning on the 23rd. Either I can return mine and then they send a replacement or I buy a new one (through an individualized link) and they just put a hold on the card which they will release once the return is received. I had to go through some steps with the chat rep Ana (she was great and very patient) including trying the 10x reboot thing and then also sending a quick video of it locking up.

Here's how I got to this point:

1. I went to the contact link that @KiiFromGoogle listed and clicked on the Google Home category and said something about my device being bricked in the text field.
    1. As someone that has worked chat support for other companies before I will say this up front, be courteous, stick to the facts, and overall be genuinely thankful for their assistance. You'll get so much further with being a polite person.
  2. In talking with the rep and confirming that the device was purchased in the United States (I believe I've seen reports that some countries didn't get replacements last time there was a bricking event like this so your results may vary if you're in another country), we started trying some debugging to ensure that it was in fact bricked. Those steps included:
    1. Rebooting the device 10 times through powering it off, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. We then waited for it to get to the 4 solid white lights before unplugging and doing it all over again. It never got to the "Welcome to Google Home" or whatever it was supposed to say.
    2. We then tried to hold the reset button for 5 seconds (which makes it go into reset mode) and then an additional 10 seconds (which confirms the desire to reset?). This just ended up with 2 white lights for me until I powered it off again and then back on which is when I got back to the 4 white lights.
    3. The last thing that Ana had me do was take a 45 second video showing off the device being plugged in and then it freezing at 4 white LEDs. This was the most annoying part of the process because my phone can't get low enough resolution to get 45 seconds of video and be under the 25mb file transfer limit offered by Gmail. Additionally the file upload included in the chat doesn't receive video files so I had to use email. I tried to offer her a Google Drive link but in the end she just asked that I send as long of a video as I could which ended up being about 15 seconds.
  3. After she had enough evidence, she sent it off to her supervisors to get approval. A supervisor wasn't available so I had to wait 24-48 hours for a response.
  4. 42 hours later I received an email asking for mailing and contact information. This included my name, mailing address (with country) and phone number.
  5. Just an hour later I received my confirmation that I was eligible for a replacement device. I replied with my preference for the Standard Exchange option and am waiting on further instructions. (I'll post that email below)

This is where I am currently in the process but figured it was good enough to post some good news as Google has confirmed that I will be getting a replacement unit for my out of warranty device!

This is the email that I received detailing my replacement options:

Hello Giles,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

Congratulations! You are eligible for a replacement.

We have 2 option of the process:

1. Standard Exchange replacements don't require an authorization hold, and a replacement device isn't sent to the customer until Google’s warehouse receives the defective device. Customers are advised to return their product within 14 days according to the RMA instructions; however, in total, the customer will have 45 days from RMA creation to return the defective unit using the shipping labels. The RMA will be canceled if the labels are not exercised or used after 45 days. If the product is returned after this then it is returned to the customer and they are advised to contact support for a new RMA.
  2. Advanced Exchange allows the customer to check out their replacement device from the Google Store via an Advanced Exchange replacement cart link (RCL) sent to their email before they return their original device. The RCL is valid for 90 days and the customer may complete the checkout process anytime within that period.

Once they complete the checkout process, we put an authorization hold on their credit card for the full Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the replacement device. Once the authorization hold is approved, a replacement device is shipped to the customer in 2-7 business days.

Please let us know and reply to this email on which option you prefer.

For reference your case number is [my case number]. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Thank you,

Ana

^ Look at Ana being awesome. @KiiFromGoogle please, if you're able to, pass along my well wishes to Ana's leadership team. She was top notch, knew her stuff, and was great through the whole process.

12/27 edit is below. Also updated step 1 from the list to give clearer instructions on how to get to the right chat.

I got my return instructions. Essentially I box it up and take a QR code to FedEx and they will print the shipping label. The box needs to include both the Google Home Mini and the power cable. They also provide the link for how I can track the shipment as it heads off to Google for receipt and then 1-2 days after they receive it they should have a new one sent out to me.

Final update (1/3/2024): So Google made a mistake and accidentally sent me the full sized Nest Audio as a replacement instead of the Nest Mini that I was expecting. 🤯 I hope that others are able to get as lucky and that those out of the US are given better options for resolving their issues.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1,068 REPLIES 1,068

ChineseriotFC
Community Member

I have been in contact with Google Support since the issue occurred back at the beginning of December.  So far I have done everything that has been requested in a timely fashion and been courteous in my correspondence.  

I am in Canada so I have gotten to the point where I was informed that I would be getting store credit back via the Google Store - at this point, I have confirmed the issue with them (did the reset processes, sent the video) and sent back the defective unit as they requested, however, I have not heard back from support team since January 10, 2024.  Since then, I have tried to contact them two times for a status without any response back. Previously the support team had been responding to me but even then their lack of timeliness to respond (typically 2 days, sometimes more) and lack of disclosure (no clarity on what the resolution is) has made the situation frustrating as it continues to drag out.

My situation is the same issue as many out there and clearly I am simply waiting for the final provided resolution of store credit so I don't know why there has been a lack of response back for so long.

I encountered the same situation. The offered amount of CAD33.62 is quite inadequate. I communicated my decision to retain my device and await participation in a class-action lawsuit.

Can I join the lawsuit from Poland?

Ooi
Community Member

I'm from Canada, with a Google Mini Gen1.  Opened a support ticket on Dec.25th, was told I'd only get a US$25 store credit on Jan.6th after a few back and forth with troubleshooting questions.  Recorded video and all the steps asked for.  I was very disgruntled with the response, especially reading that U.S. customers get a full replacement while the rest of us are offered a very small credit.  I get that it's out of warranty, but the customer has done nothing to cause this.  I've asked for it to be escalated, but I just keep getting the same response with offer of credit (it was never escalated on their side).  After following up with a link to this thread, the rep asked the same questions again collecting info, saying they'll see if it's eligible for a replacement.  I responded quickly, and after following up 3 more times over the next 10 days, I got the same response again with a store credit.

This experience has me reevaluating the decision to invest into the Google Nest ecosystem (phone, cameras, speakers, display, thermostat, smoke alarm, etc.).  Trust in this company has significantly eroded, and it could have been avoided for the price of a Google Mini.  Non-US customers are second class citizens.

For the record, I've yet to take the store credit.  This isn't right.

I agree with you that the resolution of store credit is not a fair resolution since the issue was created by Google. 

Has Google actually sent you anything official for you to collect the store credit to apply to your account?

This is what they offered:

• We will be offering the you a $25 Google Store credit (or currency equivalent). If the customer agrees,  ensure Google Store credit is enabled on the customer’s account. To enable Google Store credit account: 
  1. Go to store.google.com .
  2. Make sure they're logged into the account they want credit on. 
  3. At the top right corner of the page, click account image.
  4. Click Settings
  5. Find the section labeled Google Store credit.
  6. Click the SET UP button, if it does not appear it means it is already setup.  
  7. Fill out the required information.
  8. Click CONTINUE to agree to the terms. 
    • The Store credit section should then show a balance of $0.00 until credit is applied.
  • We will need to recollect the Google Home device and we will send an email with the instructions for shipping. Once our warehouse confirms the device was delivered we will proceed with the Google Store credit.

Please provide the following information:

• Name: 
    • Street address including flat/house number:
    • (Note: You cannot use a PO Box)
    • City: 
    • County: 
    • Postcode: 
    • The best phone number on which to call you: 

Thanks for the extra information.  My response was not as clear given that correspondence was happening several days at a time.  Also at one point I was offered a replacement unit before that option was taken back after they figured out that I was in Canada.  During my back-and-forth, it was also not clear that the device needed to be returned in order to receive the store credit.

Additionally, I think that with the returned bricked devices, other than checking the validity of the issue before giving store credit, is that they will probably refurbish them (i.e. reflash them with a working firmware) and then send them out as replacement units to people who are eligible.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. 

I contacted our provincial customer protection office and they told me at first to send this letter:

Google Canada

Re: Formal Notice

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to formally notify you of my claim for the repair of my Google Mini based on the following grounds:

Google has acknowledged that a faulty update, sent to operational devices in December, may have caused them to be rendered non-functional. After contacting customer service and confirming that the device was indeed faulty due to Google's action, a partial refund was offered to me. According to the Province of Quebec, which enforces stringent laws against planned obsolescence (Bill 29, the Consumer Protection Act), and given Google's acknowledgment of a faulty update causing the device malfunction (as detailed below), I expect, at a minimum, that Google will address the repair and provide solutions to rectify this issue.

This letter serves as formal notice, requiring either the repair or replacement of my device within ten days.

Furthermore, this letter serves as formal notice for the return of my property, the aforementioned device currently in your possession, within ten days.

Failure to comply may result in immediate legal action without further notice.

I wish to convey that I am open to any proposals for mediation or negotiation before resorting to legal proceedings.

Please act accordingly.

If nothing comes from it, I will contact the government again. I believe everyone should be doing this now at this point. 

Don't settle for less. 

Ooi
Community Member

Did you send the letter by email to the customer support email with your case number?  Or was it somewhere else?  I'm looking this up for Ontario.

RaphaelF1
Community Member

Same thing for me. I told them I didn't want the credit, it's my right to have it repaired or replaced!!

Same here, I live in Germany. Not acceptable. 

dwckabal
Community Member

EDIT: I am in the US. Seems Google's response is different for people in Canada

Edit #2: Got a follow up email from Google, it seems they do want me to return the defective unit.

Same issue here. 4 dots, unable to factory reset (1st Gen). Contacted Google as described above, got them to call me. 10 minutes on the phone, went through my issues (thankfully I didn't have to do the 10-step plug and unplug). Guy put me on hold, and came back, said it was a software update issue, and that they'd send me a replacement, no return needed. He sent me an email with a case number and the requirements (video of the plug in sequence, case number on a piece of paper in the video, and my shipping address). He then sent a follow-up saying if I sent him the serial number in addition to all that, he'd put in the replacement request today. So hopefully, I'll get my new Nest Mini soon! Be patient, it took a few minutes for the guy to understand mine was 1st Gen, he was giving me techniques for the 2nd gen. He put me on hold for about 3-4 minutes, when he came back there was no more "try this", just OK, we know its a problem and we'll send you a new one.

Puzzledog
Community Member

All I was offered was a $25 credit in the Google Store.  Anyone else get that offer?  Not acceptable to me.

Patthe
Community Member

Got the same thing. I send them my unit thinking they would have fix it, but instead I got 25$........ not happy

Cannot yet a new unit for that price.

ColonelSDx
Community Member

I have Google Home devices all over my house! 

My very first mini is the one that bricked, so now I'm unable to utilize a whole room of smart tech thanks to them!! 

They need to fix this issue! It's complete crap! 

Give us a form to fill out, replace or credit the busted units and be done! It's not like you don't have the money to fix your mistake! You're GOOGLE. 

Ugh

ghollandfsm1
Community Member

Mine also has the 4 lights and will not reset. Google mini 1st generation.

Richard23
Community Member

Alguna solución en latinoamericana, el mismo problema de mas 4 luces 

Ambe77
Community Member

I have no intention of sending back the device to receive a discount coupon on Google products to fuel their earnings again. Google will never receive a penny from me again and this is thanks to its customer management policy.

Give it up and move on to other competitive products.

My Google mini has been in the garage for a long time.

Tpat
Community Member

I have installed my nest cameras and thermostats at my company office but one of the cameras keep showing a message on the app about battery is low and the camera is connected through a wire. Any suggestion 

RaphaelF1
Community Member

Unfortunately, the Nest Cameras are not made for extreme Winter.  they explain that on the website. 

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/11830989?hl=en-CA

The batteries in Nest Cam (battery) and Nest Doorbell (battery) have the following minimum temperature requirements:

• Minimum operating temperature: -20 °C (-4 °F)
  • Minimum charging temperature: 0 °C (32 °F)

At temperatures between -20 °C (-4 °F) and 0 °C (32 °F), the battery can still power your device, but it won't charge. It may also drain more quickly than usual. At temperatures close to -20 °C (-4 °F), your battery may have less than half the life it has in warm weather.

MarcdeK
Community Member

Well here is a new update on the incredible great customer service from Google.

I'm living in The Netherlands. I've sent my pictures, video's, serialnumber and anything they wanted me to send.
I got a mail asking me for a shipping address. So I replied.

Now they want me to provide them with a proof of purchase. The device is 6 years old and I do not have a receipt anymore. As far as I can remember I bought the thing at the supermarket. 
There is absolutly no reason they request this proof of purchase as the device is out of warranty and Google already knows THEY broke the device. Not me, not a warranty issue. 
Now they claim they cannot find the device and therefor need the PoP. The fact I am holding the device, it was made by Google and the serialnumber is clear does not seem to help. Without a 6 year old grocery ticket they cannot help me. 

They do whatever they can not to solve the problem they have created. So far they have showed me they couldn't care less about who you are, that you are a customer with the potential of buying new Google devices or that they simply piss you off because they broke your stuff and are not willing to fix it. 

I was already told the even if they were going to 'fix' it, I was getting a reimbursement NOT a replacement.

So far for Google customer service. I really hope Newspapers, tv-shows and Consumers Associations around the world are picking up on this.

I will be reaching out to them if this is not fixed soon.

A pissed off (former) customer.

My case with Google home has now been resolved, by the replacement of my home mini.

I had to go through the resetting process and then send in a video showing the four lights. Then I telephoned them and stated my case that I had a working mini before their download, and that they should either repair or replace my device.

Good luck to all who are still without a resolution. 

Dave

I did the same thing and they are replacing mine. Sent the old one off to them this morning.

My case with Google home has now been resolved, by the replacement of my home mini.

I had to go through the resetting process and then send in a video showing the four lights. Then I telephoned them and stated my case that I had a working mini before their download, and that they should either repair or replace my device.

Good luck to all who are still without a resolution. 

Dave

JacquesDubois
Community Member

Hello I am having trouble with my google mini 1st gen is not working correctly 

Get in touch with google.  Do what they tell you to do, it's frustrating and stressful. And hopefully they will send you a replacement

rta
Community Member

Not true in France.

Google only sent me 25$ credit in the google store after I sent my unit back.

A google mini cost 59$ in France, so it is far from a replacement.

I sent other emails to try to escalate my issue but they don't answer me anymore.

thkrmr
Community Member

They sent me 35$ for a Home Speaker, the Nest Speaker costs 99 EUR. They escalated but aren't responding. I'm looking into legal action. This **bleep** won't fly in Europe, especially perpetrated by an US American trillion dollar company.

MeggZ
Community Member

Thanks!!
 I’ve been lucky and resurrected to the google home for now. Did the plug unplug thing for 10 times, had no luck there so then held down the mic button and factory reset the thing. Had no idea that’s what it did 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️. Had to set it up as a new device but at least it works for now. 
I wish they’d check updates for every angle before they release. I generally like the google set

up we have, but updates sometimes screw with the system and it’s a pain to get it back. 

Vanem2712
Community Member

Could you explain in detail how you did the reset and made it work? I would like to try it as well since I'm still fighting to get a refund for a replacement I didn't receive so I won't be dealing with Google anymore. Thank you 

ma10--_
Community Member

So sorry

asdfsafd
Community Member

Just imagine. You hire an electrician to fix your stereo, he bricks it and leaves 25USD on the table.

Using your analogy, my experience was more like this. I tell the electrician that he bricked my stereo.  Electrician tells me too bad, it's out of warranty.  After some time, I find out electrician accidentally bricked other people's stereos and I contact the electrician to say they caused the same problem for others. Electrician says sorry but try these steps to try to fix yourself.  I try it and it doesn't work. The electrician then says provide evidence that you tried the fix yourself and it didn't work.  I provide the evidence and the electrician tells me that he's reviewing it.  I don't hear from the electrician for awhile and call them back. Finally the electrician says there's a known issue but needs the stereo back and then only then offers me 25 USD (or equivalent amount in CAD because I'm in Canada) - also I didn't know because they didn't tell me but the 25USD is on the condition that the bricked unit is sent to them.  I ask them further questions without response. After waiting several days I finally just send the bricked unit back to them.  They have received it back for awhile but still don't give me the 25USD.  I ask them for the 25USD and they assure me that they are reviewing the bricked stereo and will provide the money when they are done.  A few more days pass and finally they provide the money but they just sent it to me without telling they the sent it.  I finally check and see that they did provide me the money but not in USD, they provided 25CAD (because I'm in Canada).  I tell the electrician that they promised me 25USD and they now say they have to escalate it to their boss.  Again, the electrician's boss takes forever to respond and when they finally do, they ask me to verify my identity to them.  I provide the verification within hours and again they do not hear from them for days.  Finally, I check again days later and see that they finally sent me the equivalent of 25USD but again they didn't respond back to let me know they did it.  I wait a couple of days to see if they will let me know but I get tired and finally prod the electrician's boss regarding correcting the  and finally they tell me that it's done and finally provide a receipt showing they did it.

So they bricked my unit and then provided the slowest and very inattentive customer support ever to credit me a third of the product and not even replace it.

Hoagie572
Community Member

Anyone remember the XBox 360 red ring of death. They just swapped consoles with no hassle at all. I never thought Microsoft would be a less evil company than Google, but here we are. 

Grades
Community Member

Is there no way to filter replies by date? Looking for the latest responses on this thread is something else.

thkrmr
Community Member

My home speaker was fried same as everybody else, they first denied it, then made me jump through hoops, then after hearing nothing for a few weeks they told me to send it in. Then silence. Then they told me my compensation is going to be 35$. I disagrees, told them to ship the device back and that they can keep the 35$ in store credit to themselves, because neither is 35$ sufficient to replace the speaker nor is it real dollars but a 35$ discount in their store. I told them I'd be giving this to a lawyer. There was back and forth, I've been told multiple times there's nothing they could do. After repeating over and over again to return my property to me & that I'll be forwarding this case to a lawyer for customer protection they sent me a replacement Nest Audio. 

JSPR
Community Member

Question to any Google employee / representative in this thread: are there any updates on Google's policy regarding replacement / reimbursement? And if not, when can we expect an update / official statement?

We were asked to contact customer support because Google wants to 'make things right', but it feels like not every customer service employee got that memo as I'm hearing completely different stories depending on user location; some receiving brand new devices or compensation in the form of $25 or $35 Google Store credits, and others (including me, based in the Netherlands) not receiving anything at all as our devices are considered 'out of warranty'.

Indigon
Community Member

What? Have you been following this thread for the last 3 months? None of the methods work for anyone. 

You're right, I was ripped off by them charging me $100 for not returning my old device when they never sent me the replacement device.  I'm still fighting with them since January to get my money back and they just keep saying they will escalate, investigate and get back to me. That hasn't happened since January, this is a total joke and very disrespectful to all of us loyal Google customers. 

MarcdeK
Community Member

And again Google asks me for a 6 year old proof of purchase. The reason? They can't find the serialnumber of the device I sent them (in both text and picture). I told them there is no proof of purchase anymore after 6 years. As far as I can remember the mini was bought at a supermarket and nobody keeps their receipts that long.

I told them there is no reason for me to proof to them I bought the device and when. They broke it, they pay for it. But they refuse. 
I said that if I was to damage their car they would expect me to pay for it. But then I will be asking for a proof of purchase and if they cannot give it to me, I don't have to pay for the damages I created. They do not agree. So I said this is the same thing. You break it, you fix it or you pay for it. 

So far, Google refuses to take any kind of responsibility for the damage and enormous amount of time the've cost me. Let alone the frustration. Told them that this is costing a multitude of money compared to simply sending me a new mini but that is not something they do understand.

Every day I am more and more convinced that it is NOT wise to buy Google products anymore. 
I fear for my other hubs and nest devices if Google can simply destroy them and leave you with the cost.

Way to go Google, customer service at its peak (low)