cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect Missing QR code and manual key Wi-Fi issues.

NewJourney13020
Community Member

Please help. I received a new Router/Gateway and when I try to manually connect one of my Nest Protect products (6 in total) I keep getting a "no internet connection" error. Reason for the manual entry, my QR code was scratched off when screwing it into the base and Nest thought it was good idea to also put the key code in the same area, also partially scratched off but I can make it out. Going this route, I have to manually input the key code and the unit has to connect to the Nest internal Wi-Fi Nest-#### but when I try I keep getting an error that says "No Internet Connection" but I do have house Wi-Fi internet and all tests for the other 5 units show a green status: Wi-Fi, Battery, Sensors, Alarm and Voice. 

Please assist if possible, as I do not want to have to re/buy a new unit as these were over $100/each and it's only 2 years young. 

10 REPLIES 10

H-Man
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there @NewJourney13020  

Other users have tried these steps with success. Could you please try and let us know how you get on?

1.   Plug USB into back of Nest Protect, and connect to your computer or laptop.

2.  Hold down the Nest button on the Nest Protect until it attaches to your computer or laptop.

3.  Open the device in file explorer and then open the .PLI file.

4.  Scroll to the bottom and you should find a 6 digit paring code.

5.  You can now set up the Nest Protect manually

Also, if and when I do "find" the 6 digit pairing code what are the steps to setup the Nest Protect manually? You didn't provide those. 

NewJourney13020
Community Member

In doing so, it launches another window that says "select an app to open this .PLI file" The choices are Notepad, Windows Media Player Legacy, Word, WordPad, Browse apps in the Microsoft Store and Choose an app on your PC. How do I open the .PLI file to Scroll to the bottom to find a 6 digit paring code and to set up the Nest Protect manually?

H-Man
Bronze
Bronze

If you use Notepad or Wordpad, it’ll be fine.

Just don’t make any changes, and if prompted, do not save.

This only shows me the Manual Key code in which I was able to figure out. Every time I try to connect to the Nest Network (1 of the other 5 Nest Protect products) I keep getting an error that says "No Internet Connection" but I do have home wi-fi internet connectivity. All of the other Google Products (5 other Protects) including my computer that I'm typing on is running off the home wi-fi successfully.  Also, when I run the Protect Test, all statuses show green including Wi-Fi, Battery, Sensors, Alarm and Voice. 

H-Man
Bronze
Bronze

That’s about the limit of my knowledge, sorry.

Perhaps one of the Admins could jump in and provide some additional support?

Thank you for your recommendation.

Hi folks,

I wanted to stop by and see how I could help.

Thanks for assisting, @H-Man.

@NewJourney13020, I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you're having when trying to reconnect your Nest Protect to your new Wi-Fi network. I'd be happy to take a look into this for you.

Given that your Wi-Fi network changed. Your old network is still recognized by your Nest Protect. To select your new network, you might need to restore them all to their factory settings and then add them again to the Nest App. Make sure to have them all next to each other and closer to your router before you begin.

Please let me know if that helps.

Best regards,

Mark

Hello NewJourney13020,

I'm checking back in. Were you able to do the steps above? I'd be glad to hear from you — I'd like to make sure everything is working.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi NewJourney13020,

I want to check if you have seen my response posted above. Please let us know if you have any further questions; otherwise, we'll close the thread in 24 hours.

Best regards,

Mark