cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect do not appear in Google Home App

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I just purchased 3 Nest Protect detectors installation and setup via the Nest App (iOS) was flawless. However unlike my Nest Door Bell post setup and installation the Nest Protect units do not appear in my Google Home app. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or can it simply not be done?  

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)
We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap. We understand that this has been a long desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

The cameras will show up in the Google Home app, but the smoke alarms will not ... as of yet.

Brian5
Community Member

I successfully added all of the Nest smoke detectors to the Nest app. I had to create a new home in the Nest app, it would not let me use my existing Home. The smoke detectors were wired so I had to climb up on a tall ladder and scan the QR code on each one, put the wifi info in and give them names and specify the rooms they were in, all over again.  Everything seems OK with the smoke detectors in the Nest app, but now in the Google home app, there are two different homes that appear. It is kind of confusing since the smoke detectors don't show up in new Home in the Google Home app. Anyway, I think the detectors are functioning and I can monitor them from the Nest app. I just hope the Nest app is not discontinued and also I hope Google Home app doesn't get confused by the second "Home" at the same physical address.

Now your in the same boat as the rest of us Brian the protects don't show up in Google Home in order to manage them with anything you have that's SMART. The Nest App continues to be the app to manage and monitor the protects only.

artisthos
Community Member

Did you get the Protects to send a text to you if it detected smoke or fire within Nest?

Mine give me a push notification if they go off, and typically my nest speakers will also notify me. However I know of no way to get them to text you. I also have a pixel, Google fi, nest aware plus, and gigabit fiber so one would assume any issues on my end are completely googles fault alone. 

Kawabunga18
Community Member

Lively conversation on this topic since I first posted the problem in December 2021. I've yet to see a Google representative post any updates to the thread on progress to resolve the problem. Disappointing ...

DanCoco
Community Member

I'm gonna go ahead and go with the likelyhood that no progress will ever be made. I went back on chat support today to try to see if my prior escalation went anywhere. (It didn't.) I got a bunch of non answers and replies that reinforced my belief that they were not actually reading anything I was typing. Including a "nest protects do not work with google home" and something along the lines of dang that sucks, but yeah were not gonna talk about anything in development to anyone." Then they closed the chat a few times. I got a supervisor and asked what I can do under warranty if the device no longer functions as originally designed when purchased, but the problem could not get resolved with a hardware replacement. They told me to bring it back to where I bought it. (Fully knowing I was discussing my now defunct nest account, so that is just a wee bit past the return window..) so by migrating to google, I lost works with nest functions. But they told me that only the original device function was warranty'ed but updates were not covered. (So watch out, if google releases a firmware update, automatically pushes it to nests worldwide and bricks every last one of them, it's not covered by warranty.) The supervisor I had escalated to gave me a "I told you my answer kthxbai fuuuu... you. *ends chat*"

DanCoco
Community Member

Also the 2 year delay on mentioning anything about the legislation pinned in this area.

So best bet is to take the idea of buying any nest products off the table and if it's possible, try to wait for the "matter" standard to be released and devices launch that work with it. (Hoping it's like the ONVIF standard and not just another bloated cloud service. ) I want local control of my own devices. Right now google has access to the mics and motion sensors in the nest protects and im sure is aggregating that data, but I don't even have access to it. So why would I let this continue if I can't even benefit from that data?

I'm sure all a lot of us want is to use the home/away detection or alarm state as triggers. 

The absolute lack of support from google, the fact that not much has happened since 2019 (that is when they bought nest, iirc) and lack of any progress news that mentions anything is in the works, just tells me either google is severely mismanaging this nest program, or they wanted to just kill the line of competition and have been really wasteful at doing so (or want to milk more sales as they slowly let nest fade away.)

I'll keep my eye out for a safe replacement fire detection system. Hopefully that doesnt rely on a cloud server, but that will still work if something (like this nest buyout) happens to the cloud service.

We're really at the mercy of these companies to do the right thing and not turn millions of pounds of products people paid good money for into ewaste overnight.

pjglad
Community Member

Ready, Fire, Aim..

Google has 150K employees. You would think that they could assign a few programmers to fix this embarrassment.

Befuddling!!

MATT_LINCOLN
Community Member

Here's the real point to this. If you Google 'how can I connect my google nest protect to google home', there is a tutorial written by Google on how to do this.

Check out https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9893532?hl=en-GB.

Knowing full well that this doesn't work, Google should be charged with supplying misleading product information.

Google's headline is WRONG and many of us bought products on the strength of this...

You need to set up some devices with the Nest app before you add them to the Home app. For instructions, select your product from the list below:

Fill in the feedback in the Google home app, everybody should do this and perhaps they'll listen.

I'm not buying another Google product out of principle until they fix this.

Swsquish
Community Member

When trying to connect your Nest account to your Google Home account (whether migrated or newly created account) the webpage that is loaded to login to (pic 1), does not have "sign in with Google" option (pic 3).  The URL's are completely different.  Then when you put in your Google account credentials into the Nest login page (pic 1) you end up with an error (pic 2).

They just have to redirect you to the correct URL (pic 3) and then you can login using Google credentials and then the accounts should link.

This seems like an easy fix for Google to do????

pic 1pic 1pic 2pic 2pic 3pic 3

cr1cr1
Community Member

Solved this unituitive problem by logging in Chrome browser firs via Google account (there seems to be no way to set a password in home.nest.com). Then from the Home app, navigating to Add device-> Works with google, selecting Nest, will automagically log you in. However, you will be greeted with a silly notification stating you have connected Home with Nest, however it is actually not.

Screenshot_2022-03-30-09-24-04-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I've been trawling through this thread and came across this as a possible solution - until I realised that Nest is no longer listed under any provider when trying to add a device

Terrible service from Google after owning the product for so long

cr1cr1
Community Member

The integration of nest with google home is not finished, one app keeps bouncing you back to the other (Nest to Home and vice-versa). It does not work to add any Protect device in Home, and probably never will. Adding Protect to Home for automation would have been nice but not crucial. 

What is actualky very wrong is that I cannot add family members in Nest anymore because now are to be added from Google Home app. However I cannot add Nest Protect device in Home because it says I must do it from the Nest app :)) which in turn sends me back to Home app. Get the conundrum? How is one supposed to have family notified in case of smoke? And in my case, it happened several times since we are actually using a fire stove.

Glad I am not the only one who is befuddled by this.

DanCoco
Community Member

With this response and the responses above and elsewhere in this forum, I would say Google is misleading customers and providing deceptive information to make further sales. I tried making warranty claims indicating my devices were no longer operating as designed at time of purchase, but they claimed that software updates are not covered by warranty, so they can brick them in software and get away with it.

I would tend to agree Dan there as been ZERO comment on this thread from anyone representing themselves as Google weighing in on the trouble. I fully expect at this point it will never be resolved they think we are all just lost sheep and as you said they believe they can "get away with it" I like the product but having a single app to manage it all doesn't seem unreasonable to me. You would think being who they are they would of had some kind of forward thinking and know this would be a want from there customers wouldn't you. 🙂

Figure google never reads here because they sure never comment. Anyone know a class action attorney? Not sure if it's worth the headache and there's probably some "we can kill off our cloud service of the thing you bought whenever we feel like." In some terms somewhere.

Clunge
Community Member

Just went in to settings -> presence settings and my protects are listed, so there is some connectivity.  Not listed on the home screen

pjglad
Community Member

I looked in Settings and I do not see my Nest Protects. What do you mean by "presence settings"?

Clunge
Community Member

Home app -> Settings -> Presence Sensing (in features section). Maybe home away assist needs to be on

That's not an option in my google home settings if you have to hunt for something that should be in front of your face it doesn't seem like a legit fix in my book. The wait continues for a solution.

-Craig
Community Member

I don't see my Google Nest Protects in Google Home either. However, this link suggests they do appear:

https://www.smarthomepoint.com/nest-protect-google-home/

Spaghetti69
Community Member

I've got the third gen thermostat, 6 temp sensors, and 6 protects. Only the thermostat shows in home, you have to use the nest app for the temp sensors just like the protects. Been waiting for everything to be migrated for 2 years now... Pretty dumb considering you can still pay over a grand to buy all of these things new from Google, but they're broken out of the box functionally

LisanneV
Community Member

just bought several Nest Protects, installation was easy with the Nest App. Unable to get them in my Google Home App where my doorbell and thermostat is..... Stupid.

Yeah and around and around we go Lisanne you noticed all the informative and great responses provided by Google on the thread since I started it right? Yes that's sarcasm, too bad these are broken out of the box as Spaghetti69  so eloquently put it above. I don't think they will every get this resolved one app to rule them all disappointing. 

Also, my protects were green, reporting as "everything ok" showing they hadn't connected to wifi for 24 hours!! How the hell is that ok?

DanCoco
Community Member

I would immediately return them all. They basically do not work. 

LisanneV
Community Member

i returned all the products and go with Netatmo. I just want to have all my smart products in one app. Preferable the Nest App. The new Video Doorbell can't be on the Nest App... Nest was better before Google bought it.

DanCoco
Community Member

I agree. They could have even just left the whole nest ecosysyem in one app. Google home really isnt all that refined anyways. Only way to get them to listen is to talk with our wallets I guess.

LisanneV
Community Member

It's a shame. Nest is such a good product. With the new Video Doorbell, you can look back for 3 days, all free. Sounds really fair but all mij products are in the Nest App and the new Doorbell can't.

Im sure Google wants all there products in the new Google Home App, so i think there will be also a new Nest Protect this year for the Home App. Points is, i like the Nest App more, more refined and accessible.

Just make all the produts accessible for the Nest and Home App. People can choose where they want them. Is a easy fix for them.

With the new Video Doorbell, you can look back 3 hours i mean.

I mean if we're going to add cameras to this I've got 7 2021 cameras and a nest hub max that is used as an indoor camera. Hub max is only half ported to home app just like thermostat. I can't imagine there's any excuse for how long we've been waiting beyond pure neglect. 

i know right... The smoke alarms aren't even visible in the Home App lol. Insane! Great product but come on this is just lazy.

Clunge
Community Member

Another problem I've noticed. Several times when I click on a protect in the Nest app, the status of one or more of the protects says no wifi for over 24 hours! Others can be fine, BUT NO ALERT WHATSOEVER

Wow i've not seen that with mine but I have a google nest WiFi pod on every floor where I have a protect.

I'd assume that to be a wifi issue. I've got a pure-router nest wifi setup and never seen that, just alerts on battery level that take 48 hours to go away since they don't check in often. I'd look into your 2.4ghz network

LisanneV
Community Member

Also interesting the Nest and Google Home app almost never got a upgrade...

SteveEReno
Community Member

Google has really let me down on this one... I'm definitely done with google for my home integration projects