cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will Nest smoke/CO2 detector work with google home?

Pasman
Community Member

I have been using the Nest app.  I have cameras, thermostats and smoke detectors at multiple houses.  I just bought a new 2nd generation camera.  It required google home.   I added the camera to google home:

1.  The camera does not show up in Nest.  Disappointing.

2.  All of the cameras and houses show up in Google home.  Yay.

3.  All of the thermostats show up in Google home.  Yay.

4. The smoke detectors only show up in Nest.

I don't care which app I use.  But, everything needs to show up there.

Is there a way to get the smoke detectors (I just bought another one last week) to show up in google home?

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No, I'm afraid. Nest Protect is a product currently managed exclusively in the Nest app.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Pasman 

Here are a few more details, in addition to the fact that Nest Protects only work in the Google Nest app and not in the Google Home app.

The newer Google Nest cameras and doorbells released starting in Sept. 2021 work only in the Google Home app and not in the Google Nest app or on the home.nest.com website.

Older Google Nest cameras and doorbells that are installed in the Google Nest app also appear in the Google Home app, but are only fully functional in the Google Nest app and on the home.nest.com website. Google Nest is just beginning the process of allowing customers to test out moving their 1st gen indoor cameras from the Google Nest app to the "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Nest-Cam-Indoor-1st-gen-expanded-support-rolling-out-in-...

The Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E that are installed in the Google Nest app also appear in the Google Home app, but my impression from posts in this forum is that some functions seem to be accessible only in the Google Nest app.  The Nest Thermostat works only in the Google Home app.

A good friend of mine just built a new townhome.  He installed a ring doorbell, ring camera, security, water/freeze and smoke/CO2 detectors throughout his home.  The camera resolution is higher than Nest.  Everything works in a single app.

I feel like:

1.  I was bamboozled when I bought a "Nest Cam - Indoor Wired Smart Home Security Camera" that won't work with the Nest app I was already using.

2. If I use the google home app, I won't be able to check on smoke/CO2 status.

3. I need to think about switching to Ring products.

Does Google actually hire product managers that a) do competitive research b) build new apps that are compatible with products they're actually selling?

@Pasman 

We had some of the same feelings when we bought our Google Nest Camera (Battery) in Sept. 2021 and discovered it did not work in the Google Nest app with our other Google Nest cameras and doorbells.  Two years later, we are still using 2 apps.

sdelorme
Community Member

It's been THREE YEARS and we are STILL waiting for Google to fully integrate legacy Nest products into the Google Home ecosystem. It is absurd that it has taken this long especially when they told us it would be "in the coming months" back in 2020. It shouldn't take this long. It would be one thing if they didn't sell it anymore, but you can go down to your local Lowes or Home Depot and buy one still. They've even given it a minor cosmestic update since the Google Hardware devision absorbed Nest. It no longer has the old Nest logo pressed into the plastic, it has the Google "G" printed on it.

On top of the woes with legacy Nest products, Google is has also started REMOVING features they advertised and we paid for. When we bought our ChromeCasts and Nest Speakers you could have the same devices in multiple groups. Now they've ripped that away from us because they lost the Sonos patent case. Pay Sonos their licencing fee so your customers get the features they paid for, it's not like Google can't afford it.

Its so frustrating how botched Nest has become since Google fully took over, it's like they don't care about the product segment at all.