cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google home wifi point shows offline but isn't

rrrccc57
Community Member

Pretty simple set up of original google home network, been working for years until recently

Office-Wifi connected to ISP modem, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81
FamilyRoom-Wifi mesh connection, Model AC1304, software version 14151.43.81

Both the devices were purchased from google in a 3 pack.

First issue, a few months ago, I don’t know the exact date but may have coincided with the forced switch to Google Home App; FamilyRoom-Wifi point starts going offline, at least it says so in the “home” app, and stays offline until re-boot/power-cycle. Note the Google Home App notification says the FamilyRoom-Wifi point is offline but the lights on the device don’t indicate a problem. What’s up with that?

Second issue, 2 Roku devices within 4 feet of FamilyRoom-Wifi point, the Home app shows device 1 excellent connection 2.4ghz, but shows a weak connection 5ghz for device 2. Device 1 is a relatively new Roku stick (2.4ghz) device 2 (5ghz) is a TCL Roku TV. Note, device 2 shows it has an "Excellent" connection while the Home app shows weak. What’s up with that?

1 Recommended Answer

You are correct @rrrccc57 

after force closing the Google home app it reappeared.  Like others I’m leaving this alone for now.  My internet is working fine and I have better things to do with my life :).  Hopefully Google can reproduce this and fix this on a future version.  Thanks again!

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

Sringer7
Community Member

Fixed here as well! 

astaylor
Community Member

My mini and both nests are showing offline in Google Home app 2.60.108 Anyone have any ideas?

Jayjay2
Community Member

My Google Mini is showing online. 

astaylor
Community Member

After yet another reinstallation of the Google Home app and the annoying task of factory resetting the individual devices!! STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE. It’s super frustrating to even read this thread. These devices haven’t worked with this app in over a year. Several people are saying they are no longer having this problem. What is different about my devices? I am using an iphone with the most up to date firmware. I have a small residence w/ 3 Google devices (one in each room). I have 2g and 5g Wifi options (currently using the 5g). Someone reply with something worth while for me, please? I am at a loss. Ready to just go back to the stone age. These devices are driving this new Mom of a 6mo old more crazy than the lack of sleep does!! We used to use out bedroom mine for soothing jazz at night. Now it’s almost completely useless and doesn’t cooperate with this darn app!! It even malfunctions with Spotify. Just rubbish. It’s down right comical.

Ratingsguy5
Community Member

I was having the same issue with the Google Wifi unit and after about six years I am now switching over to the new nest Wi-Fi pro. I am having the same issues. I am currently stuck at setting up the second access point which is not even being recognized.

FJO
Community Member

Try factory resetting the point that needs adding, even if it’s new… 

FJO
Community Member

The latest software update seems to have fixed this issue in IOS…

I restarted the Google mesh network today (I do this every Sunday as housekeeping action), waited a few minutes for all devices to come back online, then pulled down on the Google home app main screen to refresh the devices status.

After the buffering thingy stopped spinning,  I swiped up to see my routers and, to my surprise, they appear online!!!!

I will wait a couple of hours and check again, but I’m hopeful, as many things have been changing in the GH app last week, as they prepare for Matter launch (even some new functionality popped up)

MKNest
Community Member

The ios didn’t fix it so I called Google. 

Took forever for tech to get it but eventually we did this to fix it. 

1. Deleted the home app and reinstalled 

2. Unplugged the nest wifi point and powered back on

3. Unplugged all points and powered back

Miraculously the app no longer has the caution sign and is NOT offline. 

Thanks! Hope this helps someone else. 

FJO
Community Member

MK Nest,

It’s not the IOS update that I suggest that fixed this… is the changes to the Google Home app for IOS that did. 

FJO
Community Member

7 hours later, they are still online in the app… it looks like this time they actually fixed it…

rcporritt
Community Member

Has this problem been fixed yet?

FJO
Community Member

It has on my app.. this week

rcporritt
Community Member

I just installed Google this past week. Seems to be working ok but always reads offline, loading or both at the same time. And does anyone know how to check the actual speed of the mesh points? All I can find is Great; Good, can't remember the others. The speed of the router seems irrelevant to the actual speed of the mesh points. When I get close to one and use a third party speed test, it's rather pathetic with wifi, but when I plug into the into my network (lucky to have a cat-6 in almost every room) the speed increases by 3-4X. The mesh wifi seems very weak to me. 

I’m sure you already tried this but in case people who don’t know, if you have a router/modem combo, turn off the router on the modem so google WiFi doesn’t have to compete with it.  After I did this my google WIFI was lightning fast.  

FJO
Community Member

That is key for good stable signal on the mesh network, but it's not what was causing this issue (now resolved)

rcporritt
Community Member

UPDATE: I followed MKNest's suggestion to delete and reinstall home app. So far, it looks like that was the fix. Caution sign and Offline message gone !!!! Thank you......I am wondering why the Router of the Mesh points are not lit up in blue in the boxes. I am pretty sure they were when I first installed. No big deal. Gray is fine as long as things are as they should be. I would still like to know how to measure the actual speed at each Mesh point? I would rather see a number vs Great of Good....

FJO
Community Member

9D8C151F-4AC5-483B-BD91-F236263DC0E8.jpeg

Online is blue… mine now shows blue. You have to swipe down on the main G home app to refresh devices status… once the buffering stops, the icons should be blue

rcporritt
Community Member

That didn't work for me. Still gray.

FJO
Community Member

Maybe you haven't got the update of the GH app yet, as it's being rolled out. Do you have device-based  routine triggers?

rcporritt
Community Member

I actually do not know what device-based  routine triggers are.....

FJO
Community Member

If you go into routines, and select to create a new one (Household) Do you see a starter screen with 4 options, where the last is “When a device does something”?

astaylor
Community Member

I have 4 options, but what does this have to do with a fix?

All my GOOGLE DEVICES (a GOOGLE NEST Speaker w/display, a GOOGLE NEST Speaker, and a GOOGLE MINI Speaker) are appearing OFFLINE after GOOGLE HOME APP UPDATE.

Is this now a device based issue?

Les7311
Community Member

Finally fixed. 

on iPhone “Google Home”  app, upper right, find your initial. 
open then scroll down to Feedback

select “nest” then type in comment. Come back and Do the same for wifi. 

after writing my feedback, they emailed requested remote access to nest, then grant. 

Today I Opened app, and shows am online. 

GL

Linus
Community Member

The latest update to the google home app (iOS) has fixed my problem.  Although it took a very long time to fix, I am glad that it finally works.  Note that although this has fixed a number of people’s issues, there are probably a number of folks who may have other network issues.  I suggest contacting support for help if you are still experiencing issues.  

JohnCall
Community Member

I simply unplugged each waypoint, plugged back in, then from m the App, went to each waypoint & selected Restart & the “Offline” error was fixed.  

Picklespr01
Community Member

I think the problem is solved. Today I notice all my google points are online. I had this problem since May and couldn’t  fix it by myself. So it should be fixed  by a software update or something. 

Yes, finally it appeared to be repaired by the Google developers for the last 1-2 weeks now. My WiFi Router is appearing online on the Google Tiles of the Google Home app along with other devices that were affected since May 2022!   

O_G
Community Member

So I have the fix. I called Google and the fix is simple.

You have to change your ISP router/modem to bridge mode. I have Xfinity and I assume that when I upgraded my modem this problem started but I never made the correlation. 

zfarmadmin
Community Member

I have the same problem, my family room, main wifi point keeps showing offline in my app. The unit itself shows it's working. I have 9 points and the other 8 show strong. my wifi is working, but i am unable to do speed checks, or check my connection most of the time. this happened sometime after I connected in the Google home app. how do i fix this?

iamthealex
Community Member

On my Android phone (a Google Pixel 4a), the google home app version is 2.60.60.4.

I only started having the messages about one of the access points offline just yesterday.

When I go into the play store there is no option to update the app.

And of course, I'd love to have the 2.6.108.

Any suggestions?

On android. Same. It's been many months.

prattkidd
Community Member

Still having an issue on android of showing wifi point offline.

On android. Same. It's been many months.

manning76
Community Member

December now, I'm having all the same issues you all are but mine started in mid September,  same time I switched to Verizon 5G. Thought it was that but guess not. Devices show offline but work, system says no internet but I'm streaming Hulu fine, I've done everything but throw out the whole system which I want to do. This is ridiculous, and still nothing from Google... 

switlikbob
Community Member

I just wanted to chime in.  I have 6 puks in my home network.  3 google wifi(original) and 3 of the nest versions, which seems to differ only with the power connection to the unit.  A few weeks ago, I began getting notifications that my wifi was down, but it never was.  As everyone else reports, my primary puk is showing as offline despite the light shining white and my internet working fine.  However, I am now unable to run any tests, check mesh, check download/ upload speeds, change any advanced settings, enable ipv6, etc. I'm an IT professional, systems administrator to be exact and to find out that I am unable to do anything with this. Google hardware makes me sick. I was just about to set up some self -hosted applications at my house and need to enable port forwarding. Now. I can't even do it. Or any of the other things that it would be nice to be able to do. I'm not sure how to remove this Wi-Fi configuration from Google home but I will say that once the nest home app took over things have been complete crap. I think I'm going to sell all these pucks on eBay and buy a neck gear unit that won't fail for no reason. I never would have even noticed that there was a problem other than the fact that I want it to enable the port forwarding. I never checked the Google home and I don't have any notifications sent besides the ones that were telling me the network was down despite it being up. I canceled those notifications thinking there was a glitch and boy was I wrong. There are many, many glitches. I'd like to fix this and figure it out, but from what I've read on here, reaching a competent support person is impossible. I wonder if I can get a hold of their engineering somehow?

Welcome to the club. I've had these same issues for almost a year. Fixed itself twice, and I was excited that they finally pushed a firmware fix but it lasted only a day. Support has been pathetic. Welcome to the billions dollar company. A 2 person startup would have fixed this over a weekend. Shame on you Google!

Although I'm not happy to report this, I do feel that it's the right thing to do. I spent a few hours last night trying to deconstruct this problem and what I ended up doing was completely deleting my Google home and creating a totally brand new one. I think that I may have figured out the issue by replacing the original Google Wi-Fi head router with a nest puck. I don't know if that was the fix or if it was just recreating the Google home. But regardless I swapped out the Google Wi-Fi as my primary router and put a nest unit in there. And now everything is fine and I am able to fully function. Do whatever I need. Port forwarding, DHTP reservations and everything else. I hope that helps. Somebody. I would suggest that you try to recreate your google home with only the nest products and then add the Google Wi-Fi products one afterwards. But then again not everybody is in the same situation that I was in. I hope that helps. Bob.

Did the same but only with 3 legacy Google wifi pucks, followed by three newer ones. Still no go. Let's see if your issue is still resolved in a couple of days. I'll bet you a puck!

@akalati just to follow up, I am still good and working well.  I have been able to create dhcp reservations and have setup 3 port forwarding rules (after messing around with this and deleting a bunch of them too).  I feel like setting this "new home" up with the nest puck as the primary router may have done the trick.  Even the way the app displays everything looks different now.  Anyway, I hope this helps someone else.

Google - put us all out of our misery. Either support your effing products or do the decent thing and EOL them.

No wonder y'all got **bleep**-canned