cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect do not appear in Google Home App

Kawabunga18
Community Member

I just purchased 3 Nest Protect detectors installation and setup via the Nest App (iOS) was flawless. However unlike my Nest Door Bell post setup and installation the Nest Protect units do not appear in my Google Home app. Does anyone have a remedy for this problem or can it simply not be done?  

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)
We can confirm that supporting Nest Protect in Home App is indeed on our roadmap. We understand that this has been a long desired capability and the team is fully committed to expanding Home App support to cover the much loved Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.

View Recommended Answer in original post

375 REPLIES 375

Is this intentionally misleading or just coincidentally misleading?

Pretty sure it is just a marketing ploy by Google to make more cash since they own Nest. Blows monkey chunks if you ask me

You would be correct except in the case of the thermostat. 

ptlump
Community Member

According to Google, the Google Home App does support Google Nest and "Nest" devices as of August 14, 2021. However, I setup my Nest Protect using my Google credentials thinking it would be short cut. However, I cannot log into my "Nest Account" using those credentials. Essentially, I never setup a "Nest Account" so there is nothing to migrate to Google Home. I believe the solution will be to "reset to factory settings" and setup again.

Thank you for the reply(s) everyone I don’t think a total rebuild of my Google Home app will resolve the problem. I had ZERO issues with my Nest Hello Doorbell showing up in the home app. My X3 Protects did not from the start they setup nicely in the Nest App just not the Home app. I guess I just have to wait for a one shop app to manage everything Google.

Don't bother, that won't work either unless you actually have a Nest account.

When I bought my Nest Protect a few years ago, they had already disabled new sign-ups, so it can ONLY be set up using a Google account.
The documented method of setting it up in Home requires a Nest account.

They have been promising a fix for three years now without delivering...

javaneyk
Community Member

I have the same issue, 1 have 4 nest protect smoke detectores and they are NOT in the google home App, same as described by ptlump.

I also have the same issue. Really frustrating since google is making the new cams only show in google home!

pbfoye
Community Member

It does support old Nest Thermostats, but NOT the NEST Protect Smoke/CO2 Alarm!

Kawabunga18
Community Member

Direct from Google support you CANNOT manage Nest Protect via the Home App at this time. They are continuing to work towards that ability until then it the Nest App to manage the devices.

This is simply absurd. Google bought Nest in 2014, and now it’s 2022. Plenty of time to integrate… really sad and surprising. I wouldn’t have bought a nest protect if I knew this sad fact. 

They're busy enumerating participation trophies. Google hasn't really innovated or improved upon a product for the last couple of years. Finishing migrations and integrations really isn't on their to-do list.

Just look at the state of the Hangouts merge they were supposed to get done in what, 2017? Still not done.

Any new updates on this yet? I have 3 2nd gen Protect That I want to see in Google Home App. I also have 5 external cameras and one doorbell. 

Protects? No. Your cameras should be in the home app already 

sorry all my nest devices are in my google app except the Protect devices. My point was that I have many Nest/Google devices. and I bought all these nest Google devices think I made it would all work together under a Google home app but they don’t because my protect devices are not showing up there and it’s inexcusable. 

Oh, for sure it's inexcusable. They migrated the3rd gen thermostat temp sensors over a month or 2 ago but no protects. Heavens no, never that.

STILL no support for Nest Protect! 
It is June 2023

great just got my first Nest Protect after buying the door bells. Can't believe they are in the Nest App and not available in the Home App. Wouldn't have bought it if I'd know this. What a joke it's been like this for year too

Jasuthers
Community Member

This is now beyond a joke , nearly 2 years waiting for a resolve on this, Google made the product dumb and should of left the forced migration until they had a clear path to add detectors into Google home , 

superduper
Community Member

I agree that this is ridiculous and I wish I have seen this before buying 6 of these expensive devices. I want to be able to turn all my lights on in case of emergency and have everything controlled in a single app. This is the main reason why you buy in the 'same' google ecosystem. Why the F do they break their products up without allowing the simplest form of integration? You can control a €1 light from Aliexpress but not a €120,- smoke detector FROM THE SAME COMPANY?

This is literally, 100% exactly how I feel.  So pathetic. 

I bought 12 of them 6 months ago. I think I've been mis sold

Ton2412
Community Member

Is this a joke? Almost all kind of smart products (>> 1000) of more than 200 manufacturers can be linked to Google Home except GOOGLE Nest Protect!!! How am I explaining this to my wife? 😉

I know eh, unreal like previous people i'm very much for one stop app ... one app to rule them all having to flip between the Nest App & Google Home is annoying ATM. My Nest Doorbell shows up in the HOME app I figured it would be only natural the Protects would as well seems not.

metramo
Community Member

Hi,

How do you find those smart products ?

Sonoff products like the smart switches can be linked, bit if you have one with a temperature and humidity sensor, the values cannot be seen in google home.
Who adapts the products to google home ? The vendor or Google ?

bnjmn
Community Member

This is ridiculous. So they turn off IFTTT integration but give no way to integrate it into Google Home/Hue to turn on my house lights in case of an emergency? What a joke. Have 7 of these, bricked since I updated my account to Google instead of just Nest. 

metramo
Community Member

The Google home application that came free and included with the Google nest HUB was a nice surprise. Simple to use, possible to use in several homes and no manual needed.

When you get this simplicity, it's very hard to accept missing bricks, such as not being able to switch on lights, when the nest protect triggers.

So why doesn't google fix this? It would pay off in perception and make us accept buying higher value added Nest devices.

Sitting with three homes, and a number of devices, you somehow feel a bit ripped off.

Not good for a "Don't be evil" supplier.

Maybe google needs to open up the code to open software ...

Aceplato
Community Member

Simply put, this is 2023 and not resolved, not acceptable!

My house is full of Google Nest, Google and Nest (not to mention Fitbit and a splattering of Apple stuff, Yamaha, Samsung,  Treatlife, Kasa and Comcast) and it's so much easier to connect the third party stuff then the Google branded and owned items. Not cool and this will be their downfall! Shame.

Disalp
Community Member

Same boat. I have had Nest Smoke Alarms for years and have one in virtually every room. I used to really like Google as a company but I have learnt over the years that if you are an early adopter of google products you will be let down. Google is like a toddler getting excited about a new toy but the next minute they will drop it and not care anymore.

Got rid of my nest Thermostats got rid of my nest Cameras. As my nest smoke alarms fail I would replace them for any non Google product. Dont trust Google to support expensive hardware. Migrating away from as many Google products as I can so I won't be let down by shoddy support. If Google did not have such a strangle hold on searches / YouTube they would be toast. 

Brian5
Community Member

I set up wired Nest Protects in several different rooms and everything was fine. They were all visible in the Nest app. Now, they are not visible in the Nest app or in Google Home. I cannot tell the status of them anymore. These are smoke and CO detectors and it is important that I know that they are functioning properly. Somehow, when Google bought Nest they broke the Nest app so now I don't know if they even work any more. Can someone tell me how I can restore all of the Nest Protects so that they appear in the Nest app? Btw, all the detectors are mounted on very high ceilings that I cannot reach. Thank for your help. 

I think you need to try to re-add the units again Brian to the Nest App. I don’t think you have many options in terms of taking them off the mounts to do that as you need the QR code on the back to add them.

superduper
Community Member

Why is a simple acknowledgement and observation we all have accepted as 'the solution'? Is this an attempt to deescalate this issue?

Disalp
Community Member

Your talking to a brick wall. Google are not listening. 

Just stop using Google products and buy from a company who have a proper interest in smart products. 

I'm beginning to reach this realization.  Between their smoke detectors not being in Google Home, to their summary execution of the Nest Secure home security platform (a complete FU to people who paid many hundreds of dollars for their systems), to absolutely nonexistent technical support for ANYTHING, I think I will rip out all Google smart home products except for speakers soon.  Google's motto should be "don't buy our hardware"

Spot on.. 

Companies who do well in the long run have eye for detail. Plus when they do something they do it 100%.

Google will be like Yahoo but it will take approx. 10 to 15 years. When you are so big you don't see the decline coming. 

It’s a miracle for me such big and resourceful company is not able to fix a General very easy topic within 2 years. The crazy thing about it is they first break every function before, without have any working solution. Sounds they want get rid of customers in the first place. How I suppose to trust and buy google products in the future, as fancy they may are, if I am get cheated and let down in the next second. Have a lot of the nest protect. Basically not smart at all anymore. Nothing can be triggered, read or shown out anymore except stupid push information in the nest app. No Hue lights, no IFFT, no connection trigger to nothing anymore. 

i just want one time meet and talk to the person who is responsible at google for this pure Desaster on all fronts. 

DanCoco
Community Member

I spent 2 hours with a horrible support agent over chat last night trying to get this working and after seeing through his misleading directions and suggestions and attempting to get him to understand, I took a break and asked him to escalate my ticket. He closed it sending me an irrelevant kb article. I asked it be reopened again and I be contacted. 

I wanted to begin using google home and add nest protects to google home. To add to the complication, I have google workspace. I'm about to migrate from the free tier that is going End Of Life, to several paid user accounts. However Nest do not work with paid workspace accounts. (Ie they do not support features free gmail gets. Logical.) I lost "works with nest" functionality by migrating my nest account to a free gmail account, only to not have protects integrate with home. I have 2 protects in each of two different homes. One outside bedrooms, and the other monitoring the basement to give early warning of a basement fire. (Without this, your basement door has to burn through to get enough smoke to your upstairs smoke detectors...) I was considering replacing each remaining detector with nests. 7 or 8 more detectors total. 

Google! Integrate Nest devices including protects with Google Home. Give users the option to use them for home/away detection as the nest app used to do with the thermostat. (Also, routines like IF smoke detected THEN turn on ALL lights.) Also with the g suite free tier going away, create a paid tier that offers the custom domain email addresses with features of free gmail accounts. Allow domain admins to define if these features are usable. Also cannot leave app store reviews. (They keep claiming it's bc of "compliance" issues.)

Wkelkel
Community Member

Cannot believe this. It's actually stopped me buying the cameras as I "presume" they won't show in my Google home app? Unlike all my hive devices which are there to be seen and used!

I'm the reverse my google doorbell shows up in my google home app I'm not sure if the regular google camera's do I've not seen an posts about that. Maybe someone will weigh in on that or its posted in another thread specifically related to google cameras. We continue to wait for Google to get there act together on the protects being manageable via Google home UGH.

Hi, I can confirm the Nest and the actual Google cameras appear in the home app. Everything working normal regarding this. Why the smoke detectors still not appear and can be working with to trigger events, stays a miracle.