cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOME mini UNRESPONSIVE thread - "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem"

halupto
Community Member

Hi guys, here´s thread for anyone who´s experiencing "Google home mini 4 dots stuck problem". Possible news from Google, solutions or fix to be written here. Seems this issue affected lot of devices, let´s see what can be done about it and what will be Google´s reaction to this situation.

Moderator edit: Subject updated for clarity and findability

2 Recommended AnswerS

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing details in the comments here and for submitting feedback reports to our team.

We’ve identified the cause of this issue and have stopped the software rollout.

If you’ve been impacted by this issue, we want to make things right: Please reach out to Google Nest support at g.co/nest/contact for assistance.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this— we're here to help if you have any other questions.

View Recommended Answer in original post

gileswells
Community Member

Sadly it appears this is, at least for now, only available in the US. Replacements have been authorized and I've got the steps that I went through to request AND BE APPROVED FOR IT.

I got my replacement options last night after my last time chatting with Google early in the morning on the 23rd. Either I can return mine and then they send a replacement or I buy a new one (through an individualized link) and they just put a hold on the card which they will release once the return is received. I had to go through some steps with the chat rep Ana (she was great and very patient) including trying the 10x reboot thing and then also sending a quick video of it locking up.

Here's how I got to this point:

1. I went to the contact link that @KiiFromGoogle listed and clicked on the Google Home category and said something about my device being bricked in the text field.
    1. As someone that has worked chat support for other companies before I will say this up front, be courteous, stick to the facts, and overall be genuinely thankful for their assistance. You'll get so much further with being a polite person.
  2. In talking with the rep and confirming that the device was purchased in the United States (I believe I've seen reports that some countries didn't get replacements last time there was a bricking event like this so your results may vary if you're in another country), we started trying some debugging to ensure that it was in fact bricked. Those steps included:
    1. Rebooting the device 10 times through powering it off, waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in. We then waited for it to get to the 4 solid white lights before unplugging and doing it all over again. It never got to the "Welcome to Google Home" or whatever it was supposed to say.
    2. We then tried to hold the reset button for 5 seconds (which makes it go into reset mode) and then an additional 10 seconds (which confirms the desire to reset?). This just ended up with 2 white lights for me until I powered it off again and then back on which is when I got back to the 4 white lights.
    3. The last thing that Ana had me do was take a 45 second video showing off the device being plugged in and then it freezing at 4 white LEDs. This was the most annoying part of the process because my phone can't get low enough resolution to get 45 seconds of video and be under the 25mb file transfer limit offered by Gmail. Additionally the file upload included in the chat doesn't receive video files so I had to use email. I tried to offer her a Google Drive link but in the end she just asked that I send as long of a video as I could which ended up being about 15 seconds.
  3. After she had enough evidence, she sent it off to her supervisors to get approval. A supervisor wasn't available so I had to wait 24-48 hours for a response.
  4. 42 hours later I received an email asking for mailing and contact information. This included my name, mailing address (with country) and phone number.
  5. Just an hour later I received my confirmation that I was eligible for a replacement device. I replied with my preference for the Standard Exchange option and am waiting on further instructions. (I'll post that email below)

This is where I am currently in the process but figured it was good enough to post some good news as Google has confirmed that I will be getting a replacement unit for my out of warranty device!

This is the email that I received detailing my replacement options:

Hello Giles,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

Congratulations! You are eligible for a replacement.

We have 2 option of the process:

1. Standard Exchange replacements don't require an authorization hold, and a replacement device isn't sent to the customer until Google’s warehouse receives the defective device. Customers are advised to return their product within 14 days according to the RMA instructions; however, in total, the customer will have 45 days from RMA creation to return the defective unit using the shipping labels. The RMA will be canceled if the labels are not exercised or used after 45 days. If the product is returned after this then it is returned to the customer and they are advised to contact support for a new RMA.
  2. Advanced Exchange allows the customer to check out their replacement device from the Google Store via an Advanced Exchange replacement cart link (RCL) sent to their email before they return their original device. The RCL is valid for 90 days and the customer may complete the checkout process anytime within that period.

Once they complete the checkout process, we put an authorization hold on their credit card for the full Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the replacement device. Once the authorization hold is approved, a replacement device is shipped to the customer in 2-7 business days.

Please let us know and reply to this email on which option you prefer.

For reference your case number is [my case number]. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

Thank you,

Ana

^ Look at Ana being awesome. @KiiFromGoogle please, if you're able to, pass along my well wishes to Ana's leadership team. She was top notch, knew her stuff, and was great through the whole process.

12/27 edit is below. Also updated step 1 from the list to give clearer instructions on how to get to the right chat.

I got my return instructions. Essentially I box it up and take a QR code to FedEx and they will print the shipping label. The box needs to include both the Google Home Mini and the power cable. They also provide the link for how I can track the shipment as it heads off to Google for receipt and then 1-2 days after they receive it they should have a new one sent out to me.

Final update (1/3/2024): So Google made a mistake and accidentally sent me the full sized Nest Audio as a replacement instead of the Nest Mini that I was expecting. 🤯 I hope that others are able to get as lucky and that those out of the US are given better options for resolving their issues.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1,069 REPLIES 1,069

Ziggy151
Community Member

Just jumping in on this too. Clearly, Google pushed an update to these gen1 Nest minis that bricked them, mine included. The answer provided so far does not work. Has anyone spoken to the national press about this? 

MarcdeK
Community Member

That is going to be the international press. Many people from different countries are affected. 

bradlee313
Community Member

Not just minis. Full size gen1's as well. When they decided to merge threads, they just chose one with "mini" in the title. It is indeed all Gen1 devices.

manderso88
Community Member

I only received a poor answer from the "Google Advisor" basically telling me leave it alone and it will fix itself...(just not sure how that happens). Anyway I pushed support for an emerging issue number and got this: 79303242. 

?

Lloyd059
Community Member

Même problème ici en France... Très déçu !!

toddt
Community Member

This has been bricked since 12/06/2023. I only have standard updates turned on. Google needs to fix what they did...  IMG_1881.jpegIMG_1882.jpeg

mpc1118
Community Member

My Google home mini is stuck with the lights on, is it bricked?

SAME HERE!!!! Please help us 

bkamyszek
Community Member

Same issue here

Google Home Mini v1

Ever since the firmware "upgrade" there are four white lights on the device. Nothing changes it except unplugging it. When I plug it back in the middle two lights light up, then all four. Solid. 

If I hold down factory reset, one of the lights turns green. No matter how long I hold it nothing happens. When released, the green light goes back to white. 

This needs fixed ASAP or it's gonna be a class action lawsuit. You can't brick devices even out of warranty and expect to not have to resolve the problem or replace devices. 

Agree

mmdwyer2006
Community Member

My Google minis are fine but my much better sounding Google Home is dead!  4 steady white lights is all I get.  Resets didn't work. 

Aiam
Community Member

Same problem here from Spain, 1gen bricked 4 lights, 2gen working.

RockettSJ
Community Member

I have the same issue on 1 of my devices. 

DaviD72
Community Member

Hello, I have the same problem as everyone else with the Home Mini version 2. What works for me but temporarily is to leave it unplugged for a few hours, then it starts without problem but only for 5 or 10 minutes before losing the connection again and becoming unusable again...

System Micrology Version: 384934
Cast Firmware: 2.58.384934

axaAbigaili
Community Member

Responding to report the same stuff. We have 3 home minis throughout the household. First to go was my sister's - just refused to connect to wifi. Then mine, then the kitchen's all within a few days of one another. Tried factory resetting and it did nothing. Now it won't connect to wifi, and I'm at a loss. Considering just getting new smart speakers from a competitor because I'm not dealing with this again. A shame, though, because we use the speakers for a lot! Alarms, music, reminders...

Same situation here! We have been going without the convenience of these smart speakers for two weeks now (sending and getting reminders, alarms, music and radio) and it does not cost a whole lot to replace them but it is a matter of principle Google should take full responsibility for this problem they caused. And how much longer are they going to make us wait before providing any actual resolution?!

Meanwhile I am also looking at alternatives for smart speakers. My household already has devices from multiple ecosystems (Apple and Amazon) because I never like the idea of locking myself into just one.

Mike772
Community Member

My gen1 Google home mini cannot be reset using the standard methods. It appears offline in the home app, all 4 lights are constantly illuminated on the top face, pressing the reset button on the back changes the right light to green (but holding for 30-seconds or more does not enter reset mode), and unplug... count to 10... plug back in... and repeat 11 times doesn't work.

Are there any other methods to reset this device or is it bricked? I am the original owner, and it's been sitting on top of my refrigerator since we first bought it. 

Thanks for any help!

-Mike

junaid83
Community Member

Hello Team

Not sure what silent update has been push, all of sudden the Google home, Stuck at 4 lights, no response no connection.

Tried the below steps : but the issue has not been solved 

• Unplug the power cord from your speaker. Wait for 10 seconds. Plug it back in, and wait until all 4 lights on top illuminate.
  • Repeat step 1, 10 more times.
  • After you plug your speaker back in the final time, you'll need to wait a few moments for the device to reset. It will announce "Welcome to Google Home. To get started, download the Google Home app on a phone or tablet," to let you know that it’s ready for setup.

Also tried to perform reset but no luck here

BTR1313
Community Member

Same problem.  Did all the unplugging/plugging 10 times, pressing the mute button, etc.  4 white lights, no response.  Seems Google is washing its hands based upon what I'm reading in these forums.  Class Action??

They 10000% rolled out an update that bricks these devices because I did the steps too to a tee. Still nothing, conveniently rolled out an update around the holidays too.

BTR1313
Community Member

Odd thou. I have a second unit that seems fine. …but now I’m nervous!

ditto - both factory reset options did not work.  Is there not a tech support live chat?

Live chat basically told me it’s a known issue and the developers are looking into it. Not sure what they could possibly do given the devices can’t even receive new firmware now. 

Patthe
Community Member

Mine is brick too. Happen to my older one like 4 years ago. Update brick it. Was replace under warranty. I'm way out of warranty now. What is the plan for this?

jaslan
Community Member

yep got the same problem about a week ago. and it seems like the old google mini's are experiencing the same issue too. google better address this

Hoagie572
Community Member

Can someone from Google give us a daily update on progress for this thread? 

I would also like to receive information about what Google has come up with

JulienetManue
Community Member

At the electrical connection !

JulienetManue_0-1702742269952.jpeg

After 5 Second

JulienetManue_1-1702742269877.jpeg

If I press the Reset button

JulienetManue_2-1702742270032.jpeg

If I press the Reset button at the electrical connection

JulienetManue_3-1702742269884.jpeg

After 5 second (press the Reset button at the electrical connection)

JulienetManue_4-1702742270049.jpeg

When i release the reset button

JulienetManue_5-1702742269711.jpeg

Google will not help you with this. They have bricked hundreds of Gen 1 devices and now nothing from google.

Hi guys, 

What do tour think about write on Twitter tagging @ google and @ madebygoogle ? 

It seems that on Twitter they are repling. Let's invent an hashtag such as #googlehomebricked

The internet cannot remain indifferent

They responded to me like this:

"Hello Giovanni,

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

I understand how concerning it can be to encounter issues with the four white LED lights on your Google Home speaker. And I apologize for that one, because it is an emerging issue that we are facing right now. You are not the only one who experiences it; many of our customers are experiencing it too. But don't worry, Giovanni, our engineering team is doing their best to fix that problem. So right now, all I would suggest is to let your device unplug for 2-3 days. Just reach out to us when you have another concern."

It’s already unplugged more than a week. Nothing which is proposed to solve the problem works. It seems WE have a big problem and I am surprised that this was not tested before the update was pushed.

I joined the club on this one last week. Google Home Mini. Exact same lights. 

CuriousEngineer
Community Member

My device is in the same state - adding my name to the ever increasing list of unhappy users. Feedback submitted

JulienetManue
Community Member

The new Logo of Google ?images.jpg

thkrmr
Community Member

My 1st gen google home speaker is cooked after the Dec 6th firmware update. What the f*ck Google?

David5252
Community Member

Dear All, please help. 

My Google Home 1st Gen stuck with only 4 white lights on. 

I had tried to shut down with interval 10 second then I turn on again until 4 white lights on. Totaly I have repeat this cycle until 10x. At the end.. (cycle 10) I have wait a few minutes but the lights still stuck at 4 white light. 

I also have tried to reset by press the mute button for 15 second and more but nothing happen. 

What should I do ? 

Thank you

I have the exact same problem and am hoping that someone will have a tip. Thanks in advance.

mcoene
Community Member

lots of people have this problem since 6 december

google hasnt figured out what is wrong yet... 
I tried factory rest, preview program for new firmware, ... nothing helps. All my google nest mini's are down

Russ54
Community Member

All my minis work fine but the big speaker that is older is stuck on 4 white lights and will not reboot or reset...hmmmm